Tire Questions

AustinGT

Just a quick question- I took my car into the local Midas for a tire rotation/balance, and when I got it back it was drifting to the right. I talked to them about the drifting and supposedly my bad tire is causing that.... could I have them just re-rotate them or does it sound like they are legit and I need new tires? I told them it vibrated at high speeds, and they said one of my tires was bad (?)... There is still plenty of tread on them, but as I was driving around last night after they balanced them it seemed like the car vibrated more and at lower speeds. It seemed like the car was smoother and tracked perfectly before I took it to them <_< . If I do need new tires, should I get new Bridgestones (on the 15" rim) like what I have or does someone know of one that works better on the LS? Thanks guys!

well vibration at high speeds can be fixed by the tire balancing. has nothing to do with the tire unless you have broken cords inside the tire and tire has a "hernia".

they are def trying to squeeze more $ out from you by trying to sell you new tires:)

drifting to the right can be fixed with wheel alignment but rotation should not cause misalignment unless they did it on purpose.

IMHO i would not trust crooks like midas to work on your precious lexus.

just find a local mechanic who is going to take care of the car.

VMF is right, it is most likely tire alignment.. The tires may be worn to your current alignment and once you rotated them it is now more obvious to you as these tires are resisting to the way have have been worn to..

Even though you get an alignment you may still experience some pull until the tires wear some more.. This is one reason they recommend to reduce Irregular wear you rotate front left to rear right and right front to left rear.. They say you should do this every 5000 miles for maximum tire wear, but I don't...

I agree with VMF, you do not need a new tire at this time unless there is clearly heavy inside or outside wear on your tire..

Thanks guys :) - I just got back from taking it to another tire shop recommended by a trusted friend- the second shop said that one of the tires had started to separate inside, and that rotating them to the front exacerbated the drifting. They swapped the two fronts to see if it pulled to the left, and it did pull to the left... I will probably have the fronts replaced soon and the alignment checked as suggested, but definitely not by Midas! They redid the brakes a little while ago, and have been making a weird noise since then, and they look at me like I'm an idiot (thanks to this board I like to think I'm not!), so they won't be seeing me or my LS again!

for the brakes they prolly did not install the shims.

no matter what kind of pads you going to install, they are going to squeak unless you install the shim kits:)

and they are also directional, if installed incorrectly, they are going to make a lound clunking noise when u drive in reverse, brake and then drive forward and brake.

Tires are the single most important factor in the handling of your car. I usually use Yokohama Avid V4's which i have on my 04 ES330 and my 99 Corolla. BUT, Yokohama does not offer a 225/60-R15 V tire so I bought BFG Traction T/A V's for my 90. A very nice tire at a reasonable price through Tirerack. No sale tax either.

VMF, you nailed the noise- when I reverse slowly or am coming to a gentle stop (particularly when turning), I hear a pop or clunk sound right before the car stops... Naturally they say they don't hear it, but I knew I wasn't crazy. Another reason not to go back- That "lifetime warranty" stuff was attractive, but I don't have time to keep going back to have them fix cut rate workmanship. Regarding tires, how are Michelin Pilots? Heard those weren't bad....

after doing extensive research, i went to costco and got them there. awesome tires, i will upgrade my 04 LS to them within a year. michelin pilot improves handling without sacrificing the ride quality, they have a very good rating on tirerack as all weather

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...del=Pilot+Sport

not sure why they removed winter rating, when i was bying them 3 years ago they had winter rating around8.

costco also offer 7 years warranty, free balancing and rotation. all for 700$:)

Thanks- fortunately in central CA I don't need to worry about great snow traction, so those'll be good. And when I go snowboarding, well, the LS shouldn't be subjected to icy roads and stuff if possible... that is what the folks' 4Runner is for! That is interesting about Costco, I will look into that as well.....