Check Vsc, Check Cruise Control, Cneck Engine Light

fyounes

hello everyone,

I am having a bad week with my car, it was just fine the other week, and all of the sudden, i started having all these lights at one time,,,,

first i had a bulb out i changed it, but never shut the tail light failure message on the screen,

second i lost the sound out of my speakers, then worked on its own after a few hours,

today, check engine light, P0172, P0175, system rich came on,,,,

later on check VSC, came on, with the check cruise control.......

i dont know what to do, the dealer is gonna hit me with a huge bill to fix that,,,

i hope you can help./

thanks

post-1831-1198207350_thumb.jpg

this is one nice looking LS i have to say. as to the rest, i dont really know much bout this pronlem. thankfully, mine is under warranty so i didnt have to purchase a repair manual with the codes and testing procedures.

try checking ebay for repair manuals or register at alldatadyi.com which will give you access to the manual online.

fyounes,

As I mentioned in another recent thread, the "check VSC" warning can be caused by something as simple as a failing battery. My 2000 LS400 is on its third battery. When the first two batteries began to fail, the "Check VSC" message displayed and a few other gremlins emerged. Each time, all was well after replacing the battery. When the battery started to fail last time with the usual signs, I didn't bother to take the car to the repair shop. I just drove to the nearest discount store and popped a new battery into the car myself in their parking lot.

I see that you bought your LS430 earlier this year. Is the battery relatively new? There are a bunch of extra electrical toys on an UltraLux that might require an especially sound battery.

Lexus LS cars occasionally require some pretty expensive repairs -- the cost of which is higher if, like me, you choose to pay others to do the more complex repairs. And, with all its additional electrical toys, an UltraLux will likely be more expensive to maintain over the long haul that a more modestly equipped LS.

On the bright side, maintaining an LS is far, far less expensive maintaining a comparable European car.

well if you get the factory repair manual, they have descriptions of the error codes and what to do to troubleshoot them.

each warning light can be caused by few components. they have procedures on what to do to pinpoint the failing element.

this is the best i can do to help you, i only have repair manuals for 95-97 model years. i checked ebay and i have not seen any for your year for sale.

i woulrd recommend you to check out that website i posted in the earlier post.

If you would bother to read, or even check, your owners manual you would find that there is likely NOTHING wrong with VSC or CC. Those are default indications when you have a CEL and brake light out, respectively.

The stop/tail light failure light is self resetting so you probably still have a bulb out.

Or maybe you used a LL, Long Life, bulb which doesn't draw enough current to reset the failure light.

I did read the owners manual, it says when i have the "Check VSC", i should visit the dealer,

about the bulbs i replaced, I read the other post, and i got diffrent bulbs , from NAPA, advanced aUto parts,

I swaped them all, nothing happen,

I called the dealer and im gonna pick up the right! bulbs, Hopefuly monday,, we will see what happen...

by the way, i checked the OBD II on the car again last night, I have a new code added to the ones i Had, P1125,

whcich is the Trottle Position Sensor, I ordered it as well, i will change it, Monday will see if it will fix the problem

Here's an update,,,

today the check engine light went off byitself, ????

i still have the VSC off indicator on,....i called the dealer, they said it might be the gas cap,

i still dont know,

I also have VSC light, engine, red warning light come on about once every other month. It always goes away after a while, especially when I take it to the dealer who can't find anything wrong then. The problem is that when it happens when driving, the car will stop. Stepping on the gas pedal has no effect, the engine still idles smoothly. Have to shut it off, wait a minute, start it and it runs again, with all those lights still on. After a while everything OK again. Thinking it might be a loose connector somewhere, but where do you begin to look??

my check engine light went off byitself, and I have changed the taillight bulb with the right ones, the taillight failure message is off too.

I still have my VSC light on, I had it checked at the dealer, they said it might be the Yaw rate sensor, its 348$ sensor...

and 400$ labor, But they dont guarantee it will set the light off, since its a 6-7 year old car.

so I will wait for a little while to see if it goes off,

and the cruise control still not working, I believe it related to the VSC light being on.

I will keep you posted if any news..

my check engine light went off byitself, and I have changed the taillight bulb with the right ones, the taillight failure message is off too.

I still have my VSC light on, I had it checked at the dealer, they said it might be the Yaw rate sensor, its 348$ sensor...

and 400$ labor, But they dont guarantee it will set the light off, since its a 6-7 year old car.

so I will wait for a little while to see if it goes off,

and the cruise control still not working, I believe it related to the VSC light being on.

I will keep you posted if any news..

fyounes,

I would suggest that, if a dealer does not have compentent mechanics that are able to diagnose a problem on a 6-7 year old car, it is time to look for another dealer or an independent repair shop. There is are very detailed diagnosis procedures for solving problems like this.

Does your LS430 owners manual have VSC reset instructions? My 00 LS400 owners manual has instructions for resetting the VSC.

I dont have the procedure for resetting the VSC, i wish I can find out how to reset it myself...

Attached is the page from my 2000 LS400 owners manual on "Initial adjustment of vehicle skid control system". It may not be the same as for your LS430 but it might be worth a try. You might consider disconnecting the battery first and wait a few minutes before reconnecting it.

I checked my 2000 LS400 repair manual set and found about 45 pages devoted to diagnosing problems with the VSC system. It would take me hours to scan that much and I do not have the software to put scanned pages into a compact file for posting on this forum. Besides, the 2001 LS430 VSC diagnostic procedure might be a little different than the one for the 2000 LS400.

A Lexus dealer might be willing to print the diagnostic pages from https://techinfo.toyota.com Or you could pay the $10 for a one day subscription and have a "downloadfest".

Diagnosing the VSC system appears to take a few specialized tools (including a voltmeter) and knowledge of how to debug an automobile electrical system. After flipping through the pages, I doubt if I have the knowledge to diagnose the VSC system and likely could not even find all the components illustruated. But this is absolutely not "brain surgury" for a competent mechanic. A competent Lexus mechanic should be able to easily diagnose and fix a problem with the VSC with no guessing.

post-2157-1199123655_thumb.jpg

I am fairly certain that only the early Lexus radios (91-94?) could optionally be protected by a security code. My 2000 LS400 definitely does not have an optional security code feature. I always thought the security code on my 90 LS was silly and I did not set a code -- it was not like someone was going to steal the radio and use it in a Camaro.

1990Ls400,

I just subscribed to the techinfo.toyota.com for one day,

however i tried to find something similar to what you sent me, but i couldnt,,,

can you tell me where did you get this info, Repair manual??

I hope you get back to me asap, my account will expire 1-3-08 at noon, thanks

1990Ls400,

I just subscribed to the techinfo.toyota.com for one day,

however i tried to find something similar to what you sent me, but i couldnt,,,

can you tell me where did you get this info, Repair manual??

I hope you get back to me asap, my account will expire 1-3-08 at noon, thanks

The information on resetting the VSC came straight out of my owners manual - the one in my glove box. It is possible that a similar reset procedure is not necessary for an LS430.

The 45 pages on diagnosing VSC problems are in my two volume 2000 LS400 repair manual set -- I bought the set from a Lexus dealer shortly after I bought the car.

I was under the impression that everything in the repair manual set is on techinfo.toyota.com but I could be wrong. The repair shop that maintains my LS uses techinfo.toyota.com.

The 430's don't have the infamous black wire in the trunk hinge do they?

fyounes; do yourself a favor, set aside about 5 hours with a computer that has a highspeed internet connection, buy another day's worth of access from TIS, and download every single Pdf on the car to your computer. Organize the folders by how they're organized on the website "mechanical / braking system / transmission / ac / etc...". This will be the best $10 you'll ever spend on your car. It is impossible to know what's available from that site in just one day's time, you need a few days to actually review the manual. ESPECIALLY get the TSB's on the car "technical service bulletins". Those are the factory issued "fixes" for the most common problems, and can save you a ton of money and frustration if you have to take to the shop. The shop looks at those exact same TSB's when a car comes in for service, and trust me, some dealerships know what's wrong from day 1, but realize you have no clue, and will sell you crap you don't need. I don't care how nice the dealership is, how nice the service guys are, how many free cookies you get...some Lexus dealerships do this....unless you walk in with a TSB in your hand saying "sounds like this is the problem, here is how you fix it." You do that, and they'll stop !Removed! around with you. B)

thanks nc211,

Thats what i was planning to do,

there is unlimited info on that site, and i dont think there is something wrong with my car,

i downloaded some important articles, if i come across and someone need them, i will post them on theis site,

but from what i realized you need to lexus tool to scan or reset some of the issues///

thanks

I still have the VSC off indicator on, on my dash, after some reaserch, i found out that you need to recalibrate the Zero

Point Calibration of the sensors,

Have anyone done that before.. i have the instructions

CheckVSC.pdf

Got mine fixed today! the VSC etc. problem, at a cost of $360 at a non Lexus dealer really good mechanic.

The problem was the battery, original, old, and needed replacement. According to him, the low voltage caused problems in the computer, reading bad values from sensors and really !Removed! it up.

He reprogrammed the computer after replacing the battery and the Lexus runs like a new one.

PS: the $360 includes towing charges of $85, not so bad.

Hope this will help someone.

Got mine fixed today! the VSC etc. problem, at a cost of $360 at a non Lexus dealer really good mechanic.

The problem was the battery, original, old, and needed replacement. According to him, the low voltage caused problems in the computer, reading bad values from sensors and really !Removed! it up.

He reprogrammed the computer after replacing the battery and the Lexus runs like a new one.

PS: the $360 includes towing charges of $85, not so bad.

Hope this will help someone.

Hi,

did your car die on you,??

mine still has the original battery, but it starts fine and have no symptoms that the battery is weak,,,

i dont know,,, its confusing,!!

but thank you