Windshield Wipers /headlights/ What Smells!

Well I just completed my 5k service and I mentioned some of the issues I'm having and wondered if anyone else is having similar concerns.

1) This is the sequence when using the windsheild washer. Windshield is sprayed, wipers cycles back and forth 3- 4 times, STOP, and then fully 5 secs. later , they make an additional sweep on either a dry windshield or smear what little residue that remains. Dealership response: They all do that.

2) Left,(driver side), headlight is clearly lower than right., and imo both are adjusted too low. Dealership response: That's the way they all are , the left is lower than the right and there isn't an adjustment. It's just the way they are made.

3) When I back down my driveway and depress the brake pedal, my brakes squeal very loudly. Dealership response: But then it stops when you drive forward and doesn't make any noise? Me: Yes that's true. Dealership: Well thats because you have rust on the brakes and that is what is causing the sound. None of my other cars EVER made noise using the brakes in reverse....I guess those were non-rusting brakes!

Lastly, I didn't bother mentioning this to the dealership after the above responeses, but when switching from recycled air to auto air, (most times), there is an noticeable funky, unpleasant, sour, musty smell for the first couple of minutes. This not an issue with the in cabin filter located in the glove box, but my bet is that is has something to do with the air crossing the condenser.

Just wanted to pass this on for review and comment.......won't be returning to the dealership.

Well I just completed my 5k service and I mentioned some of the issues I'm having and wondered if anyone else is having similar concerns.

1) This is the sequence when using the windsheild washer. Windshield is sprayed, wipers cycles back and forth 3- 4 times, STOP, and then fully 5 secs. later , they make an additional sweep on either a dry windshield or smear what little residue that remains. Dealership response: They all do that.

2) Left,(driver side), headlight is clearly lower than right., and imo both are adjusted too low. Dealership response: That's the way they all are , the left is lower than the right and there isn't an adjustment. It's just the way they are made.

3) When I back down my driveway and depress the brake pedal, my brakes squeal very loudly. Dealership response: But then it stops when you drive forward and doesn't make any noise? Me: Yes that's true. Dealership: Well thats because you have rust on the brakes and that is what is causing the sound. None of my other cars EVER made noise using the brakes in reverse....I guess those were non-rusting brakes!

Lastly, I didn't bother mentioning this to the dealership after the above responeses, but when switching from recycled air to auto air, (most times), there is an noticeable funky, unpleasant, sour, musty smell for the first couple of minutes. This not an issue with the in cabin filter located in the glove box, but my bet is that is has something to do with the air crossing the condenser.

Just wanted to pass this on for review and comment.......won't be returning to the dealership.

Scoop, I have only had my new toy for about a week now but I can speak to the wiper issue. Mine does that also and I believe the reason they designed it to do that is because usually on any vehicle after you get the four or five swipes there is usually some leftover fluid that blows up on the windsheild so they do an extra swipe to get rid of that.

Just my guess of course.

Merry Christmas.

1) Yep, that is how they work. In other cars/trucks, after washing the windows some fluid is left under the blades and will blow up on the window requiring an extra manual wipe. The Lexus does it for you. If you wash the windows while stopped it might be annoying.

2) Headlight aiming is a constant issue on this forum. Do a search or check out this post for a couple of methods for adjustment.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...showtopic=41386

3) Look through the rims and see if the brake disks have rust on them. Also, if the car is very new then the pads may not be completely seated. After 5K miles it should not be a problem. My RX has never had noisy brakes over its 8K miles and it has gone through rainy weather. I haven't seen posts referring to the issue on this forum.

4) Lastly, the musty smell is an ongoing problem with many fixes suggested. The one most often posted is to turn off the A/C a few minutes before parking. Another is to open the window or sunroof slightly overnight. I leave the sunroof tilted open and have never had an odor. A search may yield other ideas or fixes.

Hey Scoop, about the wipers my LS does the same thing, I'm sure it's like Nebraska said. I think you should have told the dealership about the a/c. I'm not sure if it's a warranty item or not, but I know that many dealerships know how to clean out that smell from the a/c. If they do charge I don't think it's very expensive. The lights on my LS is the same as yours, the left is lower than the right. I've seen some knobs on the back of my lights so I'm not sure if thats true you can't adjust yours.

1) Yep, that is how they work. In other cars/trucks, after washing the windows some fluid is left under the blades and will blow up on the window requiring an extra manual wipe. The Lexus does it for you. If you wash the windows while stopped it might be annoying.

2) Headlight aiming is a constant issue on this forum. Do a search or check out this post for a couple of methods for adjustment.

3) Look through the rims and see if the brake disks have rust on them. Also, if the car is very new then the pads may not be completely seated. After 5K miles it should not be a problem. My RX has never had noisy brakes over its 8K miles and it has gone through rainy weather. I haven't seen posts referring to the issue on this forum.

4) Lastly, the musty smell is an ongoing problem with many fixes suggested. The one most often posted is to turn off the A/C a few minutes before parking. Another is to open the window or sunroof slightly overnight. I leave the sunroof tilted open and have never had an odor. A search may yield other ideas or fixes.

Well thanks to all that have responded. I appreciate the insight and will continue to do research on the a/c and brake issue. I think the brake problem will resolve itself and I'm glad to know that my washer / wiper function isn't broken although I could do without the last courtesy cycle.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all.