Driving On "empty"

Harley

I am just curious if anyone else has had the occasion where they have had to drive a long period when the gas gage was on "empty" and the yellow indicator was on. I cannot speak for others, but I know that on my Lexus Rx330 that I can get at least 28 miles--even if the gage says empty.

My husband and I had to switch cars one day. He drove mine to work, but he had forgotten to stop for gas... to make a long story short, he noticed the empty on the gas gage but kept driving. It probably is a good thing that I was not in the car because I probably would have freaked out and would have gone postal on him. :P In any event, he drove 28 miles driving on "empty" and probably could have driven a few more miles. Of course I would not recommend driving on "empty," but I thought it might be interesting to "see" if anyone else had a similar experience. On a local morning radio show, a DJ drove her Toyota Landcruiser 40+ miles on "empty" before it completely stopped.

Don't all RX330s have a trip computer that displays "MILES UNTIL EMPTY" so you don't have to guess? The "miles until empty" display on my LS is incredibly accurate and I would hope it would be similarly accurate on an RX.

I am just curious if anyone else has had the occasion where they have had to drive a long period when the gas gage was on "empty" and the yellow indicator was on. I cannot speak for others, but I know that on my Lexus Rx330 that I can get at least 28 miles--even if the gage says empty.

My husband and I had to switch cars one day. He drove mine to work, but he had forgotten to stop for gas... to make a long story short, he noticed the empty on the gas gage but kept driving. It probably is a good thing that I was not in the car because I probably would have freaked out and would have gone postal on him. :P In any event, he drove 28 miles driving on "empty" and probably could have driven a few more miles. Of course I would not recommend driving on "empty," but I thought it might be interesting to "see" if anyone else had a similar experience. On a local morning radio show, a DJ drove her Toyota Landcruiser 40+ miles on "empty" before it completely stopped.

If you go to www.carsonempty.com (I believe that's it); it will tell you how many miles the car will still go after the empty light comes on; for Lexus GS I believe it was around 40 miles. It will tell you this on any car; I found it very interesting but hope I do not push past empty too much; I was already bad about that sometimes.

From the time the light comes on (which is actually before the guage goes to "E") you can drive approximately 40 - 55 miles, mainly dependant upon driving style and city / highway driving. I know I have gone upwards of 60 miles before, but I was on the highway and sputtered into a gas station( I was hoping my fuel pump wouldn't burn out). I DO NOT reccomend driving on low gas because it causes the fuel pump to strain and can also cause impurities to both clog the filter and get in to the system.

Bottom Line:

40 safely, 60 on a stretch