Navigation Update Dvd's And Hard Drives

The Lexus Hard Drive (Generation 1): Lexus' hard drive based navigation system was introduced with the 1998 model year and was used through the 2000 model year. This navigation configuration is commonly referred to as Generation 1. The Lexus Navigation generation one technology can be found in the 1998, 1999 and 2000 model years for the GS300, GS400, LS400 and the LX470 (started in 99').

The hard drive in Generation 1 system has a does not exceed the 2.0 GB capacity. The map database information supplied to Denso by NavTek is now much larger and exceeds the storage capacity of the hard drive. This system cannot be re-engineered to hold more data.

The final hard drive map database available now, is the 2005 version to which was released July of 2004. This hard drive continues to be avaialble for those Lexus owners with older updates in there vehicle. Again, updating your navigation is strictly on a voluntary basis only.

How do I check the map version in my Lexus? For Generation 1 navigation owners, you may check the map database version by depressing the MENU button on the left side of your navigation screen. Once the MENU screen displays, touch the MAP Info icon to which will display your version. If your screen states Jul '04, then you have the latest update from Lexus

The Lexus DVD Update (Generation 2 through Generation 5) - ...to be continued...

Q & A

Q – How do I install my new navigation disc?

A – While we would recommend your local dealer to perform the installation, we have found many of our users prefer to install the DVD navigation update themselves. All navigation DVD navigation discs are to be inserted in the navigation computer, similar to a typical home DVD player. Refer to our installation guide shown on the product page to reference your vehicle.

Q- What’s on the Update?

A – Each annual update made available by Lexus increase the amount of navigable roads, digitized miles and the number of POI’s. This will be similar to upgrading your regular road maps.

Q – How do I return my old disc for the rebate?

A – This can be accomplished in just two steps. 1. Complete the rebate form found on the navigation product page. Make sure you verify the appropriate navigation disc you will be returning. For the latest 07.1 update, rebates will be given for the previous year’s 06.1 navigation update. 2. Mail this complete form, along with your copy of the original purchase invoice for the Lexus Navigation DVD calendar year 2006, DATA ver.07.1, along with the used, previously owned navigation disc as marked above to the address listed below. Your request must be post marked within 30 days from January 1, 2008.

Q. - Why is my local dealer not aware of this rebate?

A – As a Lexus Dealership in Dallas and Fort Worth, we find the previous updates to be of value to our customers purchasing Certified Pre-Owned models. This rebate is a dealer offered rebate as opposed to being offered from the manufacturer.

Q – What generation is my navigation?

A – You may refer the application chart, What generation is my navigation?

Q – Can I upgrade my navigation to the next generation?

A – No. The Lexus Navigation System is only installed in Lexus vehicles by the factory. The Navigation System installed in Lexus vehicles at the factory is not available for purchase as an after-market dealer-installed option.

Q - What should I consider before updating my DVD Navigation System?

A - 1. Updates are completely voluntary and are not necessary for optimum performance. 2. Most drivers will not experience a significant mapping change with an Update. Just like most people do not change their regular maps every year, most people do not need to update the Navigation maps every year. 3. You should be aware of the release timing of future Updates. For example, updates typically become available in the Fall. If the Fall is only a few months away, you may want to wait for the next Update, rather than getting the currently available Update which will no longer be "the latest" after a few months.

...read the full guide with pics here

• 1 month later...
The Lexus Hard Drive (Generation 1): Lexus' hard drive based navigation system was introduced with the 1998 model year and was used through the 2000 model year. This navigation configuration is commonly referred to as Generation 1. The Lexus Navigation generation one technology can be found in the 1998, 1999 and 2000 model years for the GS300, GS400, LS400 and the LX470 (started in 99').

The hard drive in Generation 1 system has a does not exceed the 2.0 GB capacity. The map database information supplied to Denso by NavTek is now much larger and exceeds the storage capacity of the hard drive. This system cannot be re-engineered to hold more data.

The final hard drive map database available now, is the 2005 version to which was released July of 2004. This hard drive continues to be avaialble for those Lexus owners with older updates in there vehicle. Again, updating your navigation is strictly on a voluntary basis only.

How do I check the map version in my Lexus? For Generation 1 navigation owners, you may check the map database version by depressing the MENU button on the left side of your navigation screen. Once the MENU screen displays, touch the MAP Info icon to which will display your version. If your screen states Jul '04, then you have the latest update from Lexus

The Lexus DVD Update (Generation 2 through Generation 5) - ...to be continued...

Q & A

A – While we would recommend your local dealer to perform the installation, we have found many of our users prefer to install the DVD navigation update themselves. All navigation DVD navigation discs are to be inserted in the navigation computer, similar to a typical home DVD player. Refer to our installation guide shown on the product page to reference your vehicle.

Q- What’s on the Update?

A – Each annual update made available by Lexus increase the amount of navigable roads, digitized miles and the number of POI’s. This will be similar to upgrading your regular road maps.

A – This can be accomplished in just two steps. 1. Complete the rebate form found on the navigation product page. Make sure you verify the appropriate navigation disc you will be returning. For the latest 07.1 update, rebates will be given for the previous year’s 06.1 navigation update. 2. Mail this complete form, along with your copy of the original purchase invoice for the Lexus Navigation DVD calendar year 2006, DATA ver.07.1, along with the used, previously owned navigation disc as marked above to the address listed below. Your request must be post marked within 30 days from January 1, 2008.

A – As a Lexus Dealership in Dallas and Fort Worth, we find the previous updates to be of value to our customers purchasing Certified Pre-Owned models. This rebate is a dealer offered rebate as opposed to being offered from the manufacturer.

A – No. The Lexus Navigation System is only installed in Lexus vehicles by the factory. The Navigation System installed in Lexus vehicles at the factory is not available for purchase as an after-market dealer-installed option.

A - 1. Updates are completely voluntary and are not necessary for optimum performance. 2. Most drivers will not experience a significant mapping change with an Update. Just like most people do not change their regular maps every year, most people do not need to update the Navigation maps every year. 3. You should be aware of the release timing of future Updates. For example, updates typically become available in the Fall. If the Fall is only a few months away, you may want to wait for the next Update, rather than getting the currently available Update which will no longer be "the latest" after a few months.

Jim,

Great information. A couple of questions. Do you have any idea if anyone repairs the Gen 2 systems. Mine has gone bad and it seems a lot of people are having the same problem. I am a computer "guy" and it is driving me CRAZY that I can't find the parts for this thing to fix it myself. Any leads? Also, any idea how to get into the diagnostic mode for Gen 2? I've tried some of the posted suggestions with no success.

Thanks, Bill

• 6 months later...

Q & A

Q- What’s on the Update?

Jim,

Great information. A couple of questions. Do you have any idea if anyone repairs the Gen 2 systems. Mine has gone bad and it seems a lot of people are having the same problem. I am a computer "guy" and it is driving me CRAZY that I can't find the parts for this thing to fix it myself. Any leads? Also, any idea how to get into the diagnostic mode for Gen 2? I've tried some of the posted suggestions with no success.

Thanks, Bill

Try a junk yard for a Gen 2 systems ?