Rx 300 Oil Sludge

chris23

I own a 2000 rx 300 which my wife drives. I have changed the oil every 4000-7000 miles with synthetic oil. I had the oil lamp symbol appear on the dash just after having the oil changed. I fiquired I should take it to the dealer to have it looked at and they told me I have an oil sludge problem and need to have the engine replaced. I have read alot about differnt lexus and toyota engines having this same problem. I would just like to hear from someone who has been through the process of engine replacement due to this problem. I just submitted all the reciepts I could find for oil changes to the dealer. The car was purchased as a cetified pre-owned with a 3 year 100,000 mile warranty. The dealer wasn't 100% sure that this would all be covered.

Thank You

Chris

The engine is covered for 8years 2months and unlimited mileage. Dont accept otherwise. There was a lawsuit that toyota accepted these terms. The engine is covered.......read this

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/01/17/oil-slu...ss-action-suit/

Sounds like you're covered Chris. Great post Lenore, thats great info to have. Just curious though, when did you buy the vehicle and what brand/grade of oil were you using? Thanks!

I bought the rx in august of 05. It had 57000 on it. I used synthetic oil thinking it would extend the life of my engine. My mechanic used Kendall products.

Thank You

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You should be covered by that lawsuit. DO the research and don't back down at the dealer. There are hundreds of them out there with that issue. The PCV system is too small for the engine.

We had to have extensive engine repairs in my daughters 99 RX300 w/99K miles b/c oil sludge. We took it to an independent shop not knowing there was a class action settlement. Any advice on exactly where I should write to to see if we could be reimbursed for the repair $$$?

I also had the shop look at my 01 RX300 w/53K miles. There is, at the moment, no sign of sludging.

I bought the rx in august of 05. It had 57000 on it. I used synthetic oil thinking it would extend the life of my engine. My mechanic used Kendall products.

Thank You

Kendall dino in place of a synthetic??? Find a new mechanic......fast.

If you use a real synthetic oil (grp 4 or 5) you will NOT have sludge. I am doing 10 to 12,000 miles drains for years in my sludge prone ES and it is clean as can be (based on UOA's and internal pics). The sludge issue is overblown.

• 2 weeks later...

Been there, done that, bought the t-shirt! We had the engine replaced in my 00 RX300 due to sludge in December of 06. Dealer paid all the costs for the engine, however we had to pay for some things as well (water pump is one I remember). This is right after we had the transmission replaced (Nov. 06). The transmission went out on me while driving. This 00 RX has turned into our own little money pit. Not sure how much longer we'll own it.

I own a 2000 rx 300 which my wife drives. I have changed the oil every 4000-7000 miles with synthetic oil. I had the oil lamp symbol appear on the dash just after having the oil changed. I fiquired I should take it to the dealer to have it looked at and they told me I have an oil sludge problem and need to have the engine replaced. I have read alot about differnt lexus and toyota engines having this same problem. I would just like to hear from someone who has been through the process of engine replacement due to this problem. I just submitted all the reciepts I could find for oil changes to the dealer. The car was purchased as a cetified pre-owned with a 3 year 100,000 mile warranty. The dealer wasn't 100% sure that this would all be covered.

Thank You

Chris

I have a 99 RX 300... kept the oil changed regularly and at about 103,000 miles every now and then it would cough up smoke at start up...drove fine and was running better and better on a road trip from Las Vegas, Nevada to Laredo, Texas. Then getting back on the I10 at the last exit leaving El Paso, it lost virtually all power and started making major engine noise...

I knew in 5 minutes this vehicle was not going anywhere under its own power anytime soon...1 call to AAA and in 30 minutes a tow truck arrived along with Enterprise rental pick up service... 45 minutes total down time before resuming the trip.

Anyhow, Lexus El Paso's answer the next day via telephone was "the motors shot; if you want a new one its $10k or for $7 we can get a used one salvaged with 70k". I hung up to ponder what now.

This is why I owe gratitude to whoever started this site because I call Lexus later and inquired if sludge had caused or was a factor in the seizure. Hours later they called and said yes but the car was out of warranty... Again, because of this site I knew it was increased in years and mileage to 100k. The dealership could not extend the warranty but at an employees suggestion, I called Lexus US Customer Service.

Long and short of it, Lexus warrantied a new motor and covered the rental during the repair. After all this, I received notice of the further extended terms of warranty.

If you have a dealer not working with you, I would suggest going straight to the Lexus US Customer Service.

Nick/Las Vegas

Thank You

Chris

I have a 99 RX 300... kept the oil changed regularly and at about 103,000 miles every now and then it would cough up smoke at start up...drove fine and was running better and better on a road trip from Las Vegas, Nevada to Laredo, Texas. Then getting back on the I10 at the last exit leaving El Paso, it lost virtually all power and started making major engine noise...

I knew in 5 minutes this vehicle was not going anywhere under its own power anytime soon...1 call to AAA and in 30 minutes a tow truck arrived along with Enterprise rental pick up service... 45 minutes total down time before resuming the trip.

Anyhow, Lexus El Paso's answer the next day via telephone was "the motors shot; if you want a new one its $10k or for $7 we can get a used one salvaged with 70k". I hung up to ponder what now.

This is why I owe gratitude to whoever started this site because I call Lexus later and inquired if sludge had caused or was a factor in the seizure. Hours later they called and said yes but the car was out of warranty... Again, because of this site I knew it was increased in years and mileage to 100k. The dealership could not extend the warranty but at an employees suggestion, I called Lexus US Customer Service.

Long and short of it, Lexus warrantied a new motor and covered the rental during the repair. After all this, I received notice of the further extended terms of warranty.

If you have a dealer not working with you, I would suggest going straight to the Lexus US Customer Service.

Nick/Las Vegas

wow, if this site saved me that much change I'd definitely donate some to them... infact i think I will... not now... but sometime soon. <_<

Nick/Las Vegas

Great ending for sure, one question though, did you use synth oil for changes or dino?

I confess, at that time I did not know the advantages of synth... the oil change place is a local chain and used oil that met the oem specs. In their defense, because I always used the same company, they were able to print off copies of oil change receipts proving the service had not been neglected.

I also do not know what the factory initially put in the new motor, but I can tell you that since the 1st oil change and however long I own this vehicle, it will run synth oil.

is there any way to tell if you have sludge or sludge build up? i run nothing but synthetic anyway, but after reading this it got me thinking on whether i have a potential problem. My rx300 is a 2000 model, I bought it in 02' as a returned lease.

is there any way to tell if you have sludge or sludge build up? i run nothing but synthetic anyway, but after reading this it got me thinking on whether i have a potential problem. My rx300 is a 2000 model, I bought it in 02' as a returned lease.

I have stated for years years. Either a valve cover removal or UOA. Best bang for dollar is UOA. UOA=Used Oil Analysis. The sludge issue is overblown. Why? I am doing over 12K drains and the internals (via pictures) and UOA reports are greatr using Amsoil. Figure that out. This is in a 98 ES that is the sludge prone motor that is BS.

I have stated for years years. Either a valve cover removal or UOA. Best bang for dollar is UOA. UOA=Used Oil Analysis. The sludge issue is overblown. Why? I am doing over 12K drains and the internals (via pictures) and UOA reports are greatr using Amsoil. Figure that out. This is in a 98 ES that is the sludge prone motor that is BS.

That sounds like the way to go if unsure. In my case that wasn't an issue. When you remove the oil filler cap and you can see what looks like grease stuck to stuff inside the hole and /or all over the bottom of the filler cap then your vehicle is a prime candidate for engine seizure.

Nick/Las Vegas

Either do a UOA, pull valve cover or you can pull the pan. Auto-RX is okay but there are other products that will work too. I dislike ARX since the owner is rude, does not know his product and after 8-years he still does not know the product and still does not have companies that advise people to use it. Plus if not for a website and an oil analysis testing person he would not have the product he does.

I like LC20 since it does the samething as ARX (at old rates), cheaper, been in busines for 60+ years, Texas gov gave them $$$ and great customer service. I tried ARX again in there MD and my car did not like it.

For me Customer service is key and one product is lacking that. Nevermind the unclear directions that users need to help the owner with...Give me a break I was going to try a 1/2 case and there was no discount......<sad>

Does egnine flush help prevent oil sludge problem? Anyone doing engine flush anytime - just as a maintenance item?

I was told by my collegue owing another luxury SUV that engine flush helped him increase mileage and gave more comfortable engine feel.

I owe RX300 - 2000 with 90K miles. I am seriously consdiering engine flush as a preventive measure.

Yes. Do an engine flush before and oil change. If you use a good oil it will help 95% not to get sludge. Sludge is from oil that is/has broken down due to heat, over use, high TAN etc.

When you do an engine flush clean the IAC and TB/intake. I LOVE Amsoil Power Foam. It is 1000X before then the over rated seafoam.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 years later...

I have a '99 RX 300. Have just over 200k on it now. Runs fine but lots of engine sludge. Was wanting to use some aftermarket engine flush but not sure of how to go on this or if they even work. Doubt there is any warranty available at this time but want to keep the car running well. Any suggestions? Also recently my flex pipe on the exhaust has started leaking and it sounds like a motorboat. Is this something that is replaceable by itself or do I need an entirely new exhaust system? Great forum here and very helpful