99 Es300 Rotors + Pads

Kioto

Hello lexus fans--i'm looking for quality opinion and i'm hoping to find some here. First off let me introduce myself, my name is Phil and i live in Florida; i purchased my first car in aug. 12 (my 21st birthday) as a gift for myself and i got very lucky with this gift. I bought my 99 ES300 from a old couple that lived close to me for $10k, the car is semi-new with 24k original miles, no dents, no dins, no rust, no scratches. It's beige with a darker beige lower bumper color, very clean and well taken care of beige interior as well. I really enjoy this car but recently i started hearing the brake squeaking and after 8 years i think it's about time to change the front rotors and brake pads. Although i could take it to Midas, Firestone, Tire Kingdom, etc, i would rather get some opinions here on a few things before i go out and spend $$$ on things i don't know. I'm looking to get really good rotors + pads for my es 300 and i'm wondering which would be best, i don't mind pricey parts and i think i found the rotors i want.

http://www.streetbeatcustoms.com/brembo-br...exus-es300.html

I'm undecided between the drilled or the slotted, any ideas which one would be better? Also, i don't know any good brake pads brand to go along with brembo and every time i ask a friend, they come up with some brand i've never heard of. Forgive the novel-like post, i appreciate the help.

Welcome to LOC. :)

Do not forget the search function ...great tool I always use.

OEM pads and rotors, Cheap and last a long time.

I have tried slotted /drilled and drilled alone. Unless you have a rotor heat problem (no lexus does) or race, do not waste the money. This is my voice.

Thank you mburnickas, i did search and found the same rotors in some other post, but they didn't mention if they bought it or if it was a good choice or anything of that sort. I wanted to know exacly what you said, and experienced. Expensive rotors don't make much difference? So i guess taking it to the toyota dealer would be my best bet?

You just got some good advice. I might add that if you wanted to save a bit of cash over the Lexus parts, go to a Toyota dealer and get the rotors and pads for the same year Camry. They are identical to the Lexus ES300 (same car, just downscale and less pricey), but without the Lexus name or price hike. You are a lucky slob to have gotten a sweetheart of a car with that low mileage. I'm jealous!

You just got some good advice. I might add that if you wanted to save a bit of cash over the Lexus parts, go to a Toyota dealer and get the rotors and pads for the same year Camry. They are identical to the Lexus ES300 (same car, just downscale and less pricey), but without the Lexus name or price hike. You are a lucky slob to have gotten a sweetheart of a car with that low mileage. I'm jealous!

or orde online and save more money and to your door. For me, I still have yet to see a Toyota dealer charge less for a Lexus part/service then Lexus.

Ps. There is no such thing as Lexus parts. All are Toyota.

kioto,

Congrats on your car, I agree with other posters, go OEM as most aftermarket rotors and pads are either less than OEM quality or designed for "more performance" type of driving, all of which isn't needed by your average driver. Also, this is such an easy do it yourself job. I recently did my front rotors and pads on my 2002 ES300 and it only took an hour or two (some of which was spent painting my rotor hat.) There is plenty of information on here for "how to" work on your car and/or I would recommend a chilton or haynes manual. They are invaluable and nothing feels better than working on your own car. Good luck. Jeff

kioto,

Congrats on your car, I agree with other posters, go OEM as most aftermarket rotors and pads are either less than OEM quality or designed for "more performance" type of driving, all of which isn't needed by your average driver. Also, this is such an easy do it yourself job. I recently did my front rotors and pads on my 2002 ES300 and it only took an hour or two (some of which was spent painting my rotor hat.) There is plenty of information on here for "how to" work on your car and/or I would recommend a chilton or haynes manual. They are invaluable and nothing feels better than working on your own car. Good luck. Jeff

I agree, go OEM here is a website Click here

• 1 year later...
kioto,

Jeff! I have a 2002 ES300.

i have been wanting to change my brakes/pads by myself for a year now. can you post the link that gave you the best info maybe pics too..please.

Chris

This guy is the ultimate "backyard mechanic", but he does a nice job of walking one through the basics of how to remove/replace brakes and rotors (although, I hope no one EVER lets their pads get as bad as his examples of worn pads/discs). All the same applies to our vehicles for a basic remove/replace as does to his hooptie minivan. http://www.5min.com/Video/How-to-Replace-Y...Brakes-60035609

BTW, I agree with what most have posted here in that you should get an OEM equivalent rotor and pad replacement set... but they don't need to be truly OEM parts. There are some nice aftermarket stuff out there. I've been VERY pleased with using Centric rotors and Akebono ceramic pads on our vehicles. And yes, stay away from the cross-drilled and slotted rotors... they won't give you any benefit and can actually be more prone to warpage.

I would go with the oem pads and rotors. Don't go with cross drilled. I put them on my Supra and I am not very happy with them. They work great, but they are expensive, you can't turn them, and if you do any type of racing, you will destroy them very fast. Less than one year on my car. Besides, our ES300's weren't designed for racing.

• 6 months later...
I would go with the oem pads and rotors. Don't go with cross drilled. I put them on my Supra and I am not very happy with them. They work great, but they are expensive, you can't turn them, and if you do any type of racing, you will destroy them very fast. Less than one year on my car. Besides, our ES300's weren't designed for racing.

Very informative thread, thank you

Honest Information and review of performance chips