97 Es300 Trunk Lock Will Not Open Using Master Key

fpny

I just purchased a 97 Lexus ES300 a month ago. Last weekend when I try to open the trunk with my key (the master key). I can not turn the key at all and the trunk will not open. I can open it with either the trunk release button inside the car or by the remote controller. I called the preivous owner and ask him if he changed the trunk lock but he said he didn't. He also said it opens before but he had not use the key to open it for at least 3 years now. He always used the remote or the trunk release button inside. I tried to spray some WD40 or other stuff into the lock a couple of times over the course of a couple of days, but still can not get the key to turn at all. Any sugguseion please. Thanks.

:chairshot:

Mine's kind of the same way (97 ES300). I don't usually open the trunk with the key, but when I do it sometimes takes a little effort. I figured - lately - maybe the lock had frozen. But if you kind of jimmy the key a little bit and line up all the tumblers (Or whatever's in there), it slides open without resistance. Hope yours is the same way. Not a big enough problem for me to fix. Maybe the key is just VERY finely worn from it being...Oh, eleven years old.

If you really need that master key to open the trunk lock, why not take the lock out, take it and the master key to a locksmith and get them to clean up the pins so that it'll work correctly? Its easy enough to take out the trunk lock since they're typically just held in place with a large spring washer type clip. Open the trunk as per the power trunk release, look up inside the trunk lid rear interior (remove the trunk lid liner first), unclip the control rod from the lock to the trunk lock mechanism and slide the end of the rod out. Then using a large screwdriver or a set of needle nosed pliers, slide the spring clip that surrounds the lock on three sides out from around the lock. Don't worry about getting the lock back in the correct way, since it will only fit into the cutout in the trunk lid one way. Good Luck!