Squeal

Wubbman

I just started noticing this today. Every now and then today (usually within 10 mins or so since turning the car on) I have a heard a high pitched, relatively soft squealing noise coming from the engine compartment. I had been at home since last night and just noticed it this afternoon. I stopped to check it on my way back to the dorm tonight. At first I feared it was a wheel bearing or my CV joints. The CV boots are fine though (I looked, no cracking that I could tell and no grease on the inside of the rim). I don't think it is a wheel bearing as the little squeal stopped as I got out of town. One thing I did notice is that it occured when I pressed down on the brake pedal while stopped (and in park). However, that was only when I pressed down about half way, not when I pushed it to the floor. This makes me think it has something to do with a vacuum valve (?) or a valve of some nature. The squeal also occured when I was driving and not braking. Anyone have any ideas? This hasn't happened before. Might the weather be a factor? It is currently about 34 degrees F here and I'm pretty sure this is some of the coldest weather I've driven it in so far this season. I will go out again tonight and see if it will do it again. Thanks. :cheers:

Check the hoses going to the booster first. If it's not the hoses than it could be something within the booster itself. I would make sure it's coming from that area though. No need to replace something that isn't at fault. :rolleyes:

I'd hate to stop on the brake pedal only find there was nothing there!

That shouldn't happen! If the vacuum booster fails you can still stop the car, but you have to press the brake pedal harder.