Creeking Sunroof In 96 Ls400

dery45

On the passenger side front corner my sunroof creeks all the time now. Any flew of the car frame causes a creeking sound. I 've tried oil and tighening screws with absolutely no sucess.

Any Ideas will definately be appreciated.

Brad

The actual sunroof or the cover?

I guessing your talking about the vinyl interor cover on the inside. I'm having a hard time firguring it out. I remember I had my wife press againt the forward right hand corner of the cover while I was driving and that did dampen it. If it is the cover what is the best way to fix it?

Brad

i got the same problem with my 96 LS:)

somewhere in that area smth is squeacking, not always and not very loud but it is still annoying.

didnt bother to check as to what it is but you def not alone there with this problem.

open your roof, look along the front support bar area and you should see two black rubber bumper stops that it rests againsts. Those have compressed down too much over the years, and is causing the roof to rub on them. My 95 did the exact same thing when I bought it. I put two pieces of cloth based tape over them, and it never rattled again for 3 years and 50k miles. In my last world of being a movie crew member, the tape was referred to as "gaffer's tape", yellow, orange or black. I'm not sure if you can buy it anymore at the local hardware store, but it's worth a look, and a very cheap fix.

It's those two rubber bumper stops/mounts...... the frame is sliding back and forth ever-so-slightly against them, creating the squeak/rattle.

open your roof, look along the front support bar area and you should see two black rubber bumper stops that it rests againsts. Those have compressed down too much over the years, and is causing the roof to rub on them. My 95 did the exact same thing when I bought it. I put two pieces of cloth based tape over them, and it never rattled again for 3 years and 50k miles. I my last world of being a movie crew member, the tape was referred to as "gaffer's tape", yellow, orange or black. I'm not sure if you can buy it anymore at the local hardware store, but it's worth a look, and a very cheap fix.

It's those two rubber bumper stops/mounts...... the frame is sliding back and forth ever-so-slightly against them, creating the squeak/rattle.

That's exactly where the sound is coming from. I looked through my junk drawer and found some peal and stick velcrow. I cut two small pieces of the cloth side and stuck them to the spot. I think that got it. Before I could just push up on the that corner of the roof and make it squeak, this time it didn't make a sound. YOU ARE THA MAN!!

THANKS,

BRAD

cloth velcro is even better! good job! Hope it holds up for you! One other thing I'll pass along that I learned from my sunroof is how to prevent a leak: When you open it in tilt mode, when you close it, slide it back just a few inches, and then close it. For some reason on mine, if I had just closed it from tilt mode, and it would rain, water would get in and drip down from the overhead lighting consol. But, when I slid it back a little and then closed it, it set the seal perfectly and it never leaked. Also, cleaning the seat, and waxing the paint around the seat will help keep it clean, whistle free and makes sure you've got a good contact.