Sc400 Audio Question

nolyaw

I have a 1994 Sc with the Nak. I have a bad amplifier under the cd changer. Has anyone had success with simply replacing the amp with an aftermarket amp and leaving the sub amp in place? Is this possible? I have no sound from my passenger door or rear deck, the sub works okay. Also I can't seem to find out what the speaker sizes are for the car. Any info would be GREAT.

That does help. Now if I could just figure out how to replace the factory amp with an aftermarket one...

I have been running two aftermarket amps in my '96 SC300 for quite awhile w/o any problems. The harness connenting the stock amplifiers to the stock Pioneer radio/cd are located in the passenger side of the trunk between the CD player/amplfier and the fire wall behind the back seat ( must remove rear & side trunk liners). I located the speaker wires (five sets including the subwoofer), cut them, ran the radio side of the wires to the new amp(s) input and the speaker side of the wires to the new amp(s) output. I have a 4 channel 1600 watt amp pumping the factory speakers/tweeters plus 2 Bose 5x3's I installed in the side panels just below the rear passenger armrests. I also have a 400 watt mono amp pumping a 1200 watt 10" Sony Explode subwoofer installed where the factory sub was. I have since installed a remote volume control for my subwoofer by running RCA wires from the subwoofer amp to the remote volume control nob I installed on the shift plate in front of the stickshift & back to the subwoofer. Go to the following for a zipfile containing wiring diagrams & other pertinent info:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...ost&id=6282

That does help. Now if I could just figure out how to replace the factory amp with an aftermarket one...

I have been running two aftermarket amps in my '96 SC300 for quite awhile w/o any problems. The harness connenting the stock amplifiers to the stock Pioneer radio/cd are located in the passenger side of the trunk between the CD player/amplfier and the fire wall behind the back seat ( must remove rear & side trunk liners). I located the speaker wires (five sets including the subwoofer), cut them, ran the radio side of the wires to the new amp(s) input and the speaker side of the wires to the new amp(s) output. I have a 4 channel 1600 watt amp pumping the factory speakers/tweeters plus 2 Bose 5x3's I installed in the side panels just below the rear passenger armrests. I also have a 400 watt mono amp pumping a 1200 watt 10" Sony Explode subwoofer installed where the factory sub was. I have since installed a remote volume control for my subwoofer by running RCA wires from the subwoofer amp to the remote volume control nob I installed on the shift plate in front of the stickshift & back to the subwoofer. Go to the following for a zipfile containing wiring diagrams & other pertinent info:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...ost&id=6282

Awesome, so I can run 1 amp for the normal speakers, and I will need a seperate amp for the subwoofer. I would think that a car audio shop should be able to handle that with no issues. I want to keep the factory head unit and changer.

nolyaw, Are you sure its a bad amp? Test or check your speakers, they might have disintegrated this is what happend to my rear speakers. To Test remove the passenger side lining in the trunk. Then take down the back wall lining to the trunk this will give you access to the rear speakers +/- connections. Hook up a small 4ohm working speaker. I bought a small single speaker at walmart, if you hear sound you have a blown speaker. Inorder to check the front speaker you will have to take down the whole door lining. Here is the link on step by step take down.

http://clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109384

nolyaw, I am looking at performing the same operation. I have the NAK system as well and the amp smoked about a year ago. I refuse to pay $400 on eBay for a used amp. If you are serious about replacing your amp with an aftermarket one, I wouldn't mind taking the journey with you. The respnse from "BadBob" lead me to beleive that he has a Pioneer system rather than a Nakamichi. While he had sucess, his situation is different from ours.

Have you found an amp yet that you are considering? Are you going to do the conversion yourself or take it to a shop?

Thanks,

Sam

Well, I talked to an audio shop, and they have done it before. They used a four channel Kicker amp, model 350.4, its $200 at crutchfield. Then they used a mono Sub amp for the subwoofer, so that the fader function could be utilized. I am expecting to pay around 5-$600 for everythin I need including labor. They assure me it can be done no problem, as they have done it before. I will keep you posted, I am planning on going after Christmas to have it done.