Spare Tire Still Usable?

Rookie

I've noticed my spare tire appears to be the original Michelin MTX. I believe the full size spares are supposed to be cycled in and rotated each time the tires are rotated. Being six years old, I'm wondering if this tire is still reliable/sound to be rotated in and used.

Thanks,

Rookie

There is 4 and 5 tires rotation (include the spare tire). I don't think that the 5 tires rotation is a mandatory anymore. I replaced the spare tire once; it was a pain using the special tool in order to lower the spare tire.

Thi

The owner's guide shows the 4 and 5 tire rotation pattern. I prefer the 5-tire rotation -- it keeps all the tires, including the spare at aprox the same diameter -- a 4-tire rotation would give you one tire a bit larger than the other three -- which theoretically could cause strain on the differential if there's a large difference in tread depth -- I said theoretically...

The other bonus of the 5 tire rotation is that if you choose to go to a different tire when you replace the set, you'll have a matched spare.

As for the special tool, I guess you don't have the tire tool that comes with the truck? It should be in the tool kit that holds the lug wrench -- it's that multi-piece brown set of poles with a question mark shaped end on one of them.

Cheers,

Doug

When I bought my car, I did not check that it has a tool set (learn something <_< ). I ordered a set from Toyota in order to check the spare tire's condition. When I placed the multi-piece tool in the hole in order to lower the tire, it cought in the inner bracket. Maybe the previous owner damaged the bracket or something. It was not a smooth operation for me.

It's good idea to check the spare tire condition. Mine was shot; so I replaced it with another one.

Thi