2005 Rx 330 Tracking/pulling

mccldwll

Just acquired an '05 330 and feel that doesn't track dearly as well as older Volvo. Feels like wants to pull to right (mostly), then to left. I know I need to see if tires over-inflated, and probably have realigned, but is this a known issue? Anything else I should look for?

Thanks.

I would do a quick four tire rotation to eliminate them as the problem, adjust tire pressures to recommended and then do a test drive. In addition, I don't know what the roads are like in VA but here in PA, we get lots of ruts that can mimic the symptoms you are talking about. Try and do your test on a nice section of highway without any ruts.

Once you have driven the car, feel the hubs and see if one is warmer than the other. If you have a brake that is either not completely releasing the pad or is grabbing, it might give the symtoms you describe.

Gary

I have to tell you, my 04 330 wanders around as if i'm driving drunk! And IT'S NOT ME! It's my wife's car, so I don't drive it that much, but to me it's the variable power assist that does it. Only on the highway, I find that the initial response to the steering wheel is ok, then the response doesn't progress in a linear mannor; instead I need to add MORE input at the wheel to complete whatever turning input I started.

This, and the drive-by-wire throttle makes me really dislike this car. It's a shame, because otherwise I like it.

My tires are new and rotated very 5k. The car has 50k on it and went through the CPO inspection before we bought it at 39k. The car is operating correctly. I just don't like how it operates.

I have to tell you, my 04 330 wanders around as if i'm driving drunk! And IT'S NOT ME! It's my wife's car, so I don't drive it that much, but to me it's the variable power assist that does it. Only on the highway, I find that the initial response to the steering wheel is ok, then the response doesn't progress in a linear mannor; instead I need to add MORE input at the wheel to complete whatever turning input I started.

This, and the drive-by-wire throttle makes me really dislike this car. It's a shame, because otherwise I like it.

My tires are new and rotated very 5k. The car has 50k on it and went through the CPO inspection before we bought it at 39k. The car is operating correctly. I just don't like how it operates.

Thanks to both responders. I'll check the hub heat.

Only have a couple of days behind the wheel, but the wandering/correction/pulling is a PITA. Sort of like walking a puppy--wants to go one way, then the other. Not content to just walk straight. This is beyond the variable power assist, but that will take getting used to also. This has the Michelins. I heard/read somewhere that some prefer the Bridgestones. Is that handling or tracking? Have an old Volvo 240 wagon (which I'll never sell) which tracks/handles better. That's disconcerting.

Also haven't figured out how to deal with the drive-by-wire throttle and the power lag. I know it's not a Lexus (yet) but in this respect I much prefer the power curve on a friend's Santa Fe. Can anything be done "computerwise" about this?

Appreciate all advice.