Power Steering Fluid Change

stroker

Ive tried to find a thread on this but cant seem to find it..Need to change P/S fluid, its getting sort of gummy but need to know how to drain it or do you suck it out with something?? Also what type fluid should I use, also is there a filter inside the reservoir??? Thanks in advance, Stroker

91 LS400

did it the same way except that i kept the engine running all the time while constantly pouring new fluid into the reservoir. took me 7 or 8 bottles of atf before it turned pink:)

Thanks Steve 2006 and VMF, I'll tackle that job in the morning...Really looks like a simple job..I'll let you know how it turns out...Thanks again for fast reply, Stroker

I just did the dilution method....suck out what's in the reservoir, refill it, start the engine and turn the steering whell lock to lock a few times, stop the engine......repeat.

Using an Excel spreadsheet calculator (I found at http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/) I figured after doing the suck/refill about 10 times, about 90% of the fluid is now "new".

It took about an hour, but was far less messy than removing the return hose and trying to pour fresh fluid into the reservoir at the same time.

Using an oil bottle pump is definitely better than using a baster.

• 3 years later...

I just did the "suck and fill" of the power steering reservoir as well, except I kept the engine running the whole time. My understanding is that when the engine is running, power steering fluid is flowing through the reservoir constantly. I used approximately one quart of Toyota T-4 AFT. I stopped after 5 or 6 times (of suck and fill) when the fluid became pink and clean.

(car: 1993 LS)