Oil Leak

Lancer

Hello,

I have a 1990 LS400 with 190k miles on it. It is leaking a quart of oil every 2 days. I replaced the oil pressure sensor switch and a new oil filter to make sure it wasnt coming from there. After replacing those items, I started the car and there was no leak until... a couple of minutes then I saw oil coming out under the crankcase pulley. I read somewhere that you have to replace a gasket that is behing the crankcase pulley. I have the motor torn apart and only see 2 gaskets around 2 other smaller pulleys (Timing belt area). The one thing that I noticed was, there was a white colored gasket (RTV) that looks like it was separating from engine. In order to get to this gasket, I have to take the oil pan off and was curious before I go into an "unknown world" if this could be where my oil leak is coming from. Also, my speedometer doesnt work does anybody know what could cause that.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Lance

i would suggest you sign up at www.alldatadyi.com to get the howtos and schematics of your engine. not sure about the speedometer, it does not light up or the needle does not move?

did you check if the speedometer itself is actually functioning?

if you didnt, i think alldata has a procedure on how to test it, if its not blown it should show an impedance of a certain value.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I have my car dis-assembled. I am in the process of putting things back together. I am having an issue with the timing belt though. When I go to put the timing belt on with the cams lined up the belt wont go on. When I turn a cam, the belt will go on but then the cam isnt lined up. I understand there is a hydraulic belt tensioner but I dont know how it goes to make the belt go on. The other thing, my crankcase pulley on the timing belt had on "degree" marker ( or any marks to make sure it is in time). This is my first time working on a car's time and I want to make sure that I do it right. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Lance

Sounds like your crankshaft oil seal has failed

Do you know where the crankshaft oil seal is located? I pulled the crankshaft pulley off and have the seal but cant seem to find it...

Thank you,

Lance

Hi,

You can check out the following site for a tutorial on the transmission - has a lot of good information including pics of a transmission removal, etc.: http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/.

hth