How To Remove Power Headrests On 1992 Ls400?

nopcbs

I bought a low-back sheepskin seat cover for the driver's seat in our 1992 LS400 and in order to put it on the driver's seat I need to remove the (power) headrest. I have the shop manual and what it says makes no sense.

They seem to want you to pull the headrest up while you push the headrest support rods down. In the manual version, the rods are part of the headrest and I would think the same would be true in the case of the power headrests, so how you could push down on one while pulling up on the other is perplexing.

Anyone ever done this? Please advise.

- GRL

LS400_headrest.pdf

I bought a low-back sheepskin seat cover for the driver's seat in our 1992 LS400 and in order to put it on the driver's seat I need to remove the (power) headrest. I have the shop manual and what it says makes no sense.

They seem to want you to pull the headrest up while you push the headrest support rods down. In the manual version, the rods are part of the headrest and I would think the same would be true in the case of the power headrests, so how you could push down on one while pulling up on the other is perplexing.

- GRL

The way I interpret that is that you would move the headrest to the highest position, and then pput your hands on the supports(steel bars) and push them up and out.

- GRL

The way I interpret that is that you would move the headrest to the highest position, and then pput your hands on the supports(steel bars) and push them up and out.

Have not tried this yet, but after more searching on the web, I found a post in another LS F1 forum a procedure that worked and that actually makes sense if you read the instructions and view that picture in the service manual. What the fellow did was to run the headrest all the way up with the switch, then he pressed downwards on the two plastic surrounds of the metal pillars that support the headrest. This presumably releases the two clips inside the seat that retain the two rods. The downward arrows in the manual picture actually point at these plastic surrounds, so it makes sense. The text is a bit ambiguous. I think this another example of poor translation of a Japanese manual by a person that either was not great at English or Japanese or was not really sure what the Japanese text meant.

I had the same experience with removing the cornering lamp housing to replace the bulbs. The manual made no sense until after you saw what you had to do and then it made perfect sense.

Sigh.

- GRL

let me know how it ends up working for you, I am sure I will be in this situation at some point ;)

OK. Going to do it tomorrow. Let you know.

Just did it and it was extremely easy.

Here are the definitive instructions for removing the front seat headrests on Gen 1 (F1) LS400's equipped with power headrests.

First, run the headrest(s) all the way up with the power switch.

Next, run the seats forward all the way and climb in the back seat.

Get in the back seat. Note that at the bottom of each of the two front seat steel headrest pillars (support posts) there is an about 1.5" wide (roughly square) plastic trim piece with a hole for the steel pillar. There is one for each pillar.

With one hand, push down ( i.e., toward the earth for those of you who are executives) on both of these trim pieces of one seat. You will feel a pair of latches give. You don't have to use a lot of effort, but there is a little required. Then, still pushing down with the first hand, with the other hand, lift the headrest and support pillars up (that's away from the earth for you executive types). Slides out easy.

To put the headrest back, just align with the two holes and push down gently until you feel the mechanism lock.

Ridiculously easy.