Car Shut Down, Timing Belt Snapped, Need Help

eds92sc

I was looking around after my engine died on me on the freeway and I found the timing belt snapped when I was checking the spark plug/distributor cap. Does anyone know if my engine is ruined? I was cranking the engine with the timing belt unknowingly snapped while troubleshooting. Did I ruin my motor more? What will I have to check after replacing the timing belt? Any help will be appreciated.

what would have happened is your pistons would have still been moving up and down but your valves wouldn't have been moving so there could be some damage but for the most part you are going to have to get your engine retuned because if you put a new timing belt on the valves wont be opening at the right time

There shouldn't be any damage from a timing belt breaking on a 92 SC. It is not an interference engine.

The timing belt on my 90 LS400 broke at about 75,000 miles - absolutely no damage and I drove the car another 100,000 plus miles before I sold it.

any of the damage would come from the belt getting bunched up in the timing belt cover. very minor if any.

Would the valves need to be checked after the timing belt gets changed? If the timing marks are lined up again, do I need to check anything else? I'm not sure if I screwed up the timing after cranking the engine for troubleshooting. Thanks for your help brah. I grew up in Hawaii. Aiea on Oahu. Mahalo.

theoreticaly there should be no damage as this is a non-interference engine meaning the valves can no touch the piston under normal valve lift. at any crank/piston position.

Thanks brah.

I had it towed to the shop today. I no feel like doing it myself. No mo time, and look like big job. Thanks again.

This is why I haven't changed my timing belt yet... I hope you guys are right when you say it's a non-interference engine!

Well it is a Toyota not a Honda :cheers: I wouldn't be that worried about it unless you saw smoke from your engine bay.

You could do it yourself; a lot of us have done it before.