Winter Tires

I have a 2003 gs 430. My tires are 225/55/16.

I want to purchase blizzaks for the winter.

I was told that i am able to run 215/60/16, that they are narrower and will handle the snow better than a 225 tire.

My concern is that threr might be an impact on the speedo/odometer, navi system and the abs system.

Anyone have any experience or knowledge of this?

You can calculate the differences in tire sizes at http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp

215/60-16 tires would make your speedometer read 1.57% slower.

I would recommend staying with the OEM tire size unless you are going to frequently drive in unusually severe snow conditions.

225/55-16 tires are a reasonable size for snow with your GS. If you were to go with wider tires (235, 245, etc.) the traction could be fairly bad even with Blizzaks.

We don't get much deep snow where I live, but the OEM size Blizzaks I use on my 00 LS (225/60-16 is OEM for it) provided stunning results in the few 6 - 10 inch fresh snowfalls I have driven in and on many less severe slushy days.

Another thing to remember is that snow tires provide less grip when the roads are dry or simply wet. Using 215/60-16 tires on your GS would provide even less stopping power in these conditions.

If I am correct that you recently purchased your GS or moved to the Northeast, I think you will be surprised how well your car gets around in the snow with Blizzaks and the transmission mode in "Snow". The VSC is particularly effective when driving in snow - mine hardly ever kicks in outside of winter. Not that you want to "go crazy fast" in the snow, but, if you haven't already, take your car to an empty, snowy slick parking lot and drive it to and past the limits (when the audible alarm sounds) to get an understanding of how VSC works.

I appreciate your reply regarding the size differential.

I have visited the tire caculator site earlier and found the same difference you mention.

I have lived back east for some time and have run Blizzaks for over 10 years.

There is nothing like them.

My vehicles for the past +10 years have been front wheel drive.

The Blizzaks have been great.

This is the first car I have had in some time that is rear wheel drive.

The regular tires I am running are Goodyear Eagle GT +4 and on this GS 430 do very little in terms of traction in the snow.

Lexus reccomends the Blizzak LM-25, but I an told by tire dealers they really compromise traction in the snow ad ice for performance during the winter months when the roads are clear.

The tire dealer reccomends the WS 50 or 60 series.

WS 50 is made in a 55 aspect, and a 225 width, quite possibly sold out.

The dealer tells me they are too wide for the snows back east.

In reality I believe that the difference in a 225 v. a 215 is about 1/2 inch.

WS 60 is available in a 60 aspect and a width of 215...and is not sold out.

Again my concern is the effect on the car's navi, abs, and speedo/odometer systems.

Is there any concern I should have because of the speed being off 1.57% on the car's computer system?

And do you think 225 v 215 will have any affect how the car handles snow on the road, maybe 3 to 6 inches?

The dealer is completely "BS-ing" you if he is telling you that 225 tires are "too wide for the snows back east" on a car as heavy as a GS430.

The snows in the Northeast are nothing comparied to what I've dealt with in decades of driving around Colorado ski areas, the bases of which are often at over 7,000 elevation. I've driven over Loveland and Berthoud passes a bazillion times - more than once in a full blown blizzard - and never once got close to getting stuck driving normal passenger cars. Colorado mountains are much larger than that wimpy little Whiteface ski area at Lake Placid where I skiid a couple of years ago.

1.57% speedo error is well within the acceptable range of variation.

Sounds like the dealer wants to sell you what he has. I can't blame him.

Snow tire supplies get short in the winter which is why I avoid buying them then. The best prices and supply of snow tires are usually in the summer or early fall.

You will be fine with either size. Don't worry, be happy.

The dealer is completely "BS-ing" you if he is telling you that 225 tires are "too wide for the snows back east" on a car as heavy as a GS430.

The snows in the Northeast are nothing comparied to what I've dealt with in decades of driving around Colorado ski areas, the bases of which are often at over 7,000 elevation. I've driven over Loveland and Berthoud passes a bazillion times - more than once in a full blown blizzard - and never once got close to getting stuck driving normal passenger cars. Colorado mountains are much larger than that wimpy little Whiteface ski area at Lake Placid where I skiid a couple of years ago.

Snow tire supplies get short in the winter which is why I avoid buying them then. The best prices and supply of snow tires are usually in the summer or early fall.

1990LS400-

Thanks for your input.

The tire dealer had both sizes of Blizzaks, he felt the 215's might cut through the snow a little better than the 225's. The Lexus dealer doesn't see any problem with the change in size. Either way, the difference is minimal, less than 1/2 inch in width from what I can tell and the 225's are series 50 that are going to be discontinued according to Bridgestone/Firestone. Decided to go with the newer 60 series just because if there is a problem with a tire down the line I will be able to get a single much easier than with a discontinued tire. Been there before. I appreciate your reply.

Tires R PRICEY!!!! 199-299 for 1 tire... dammnn.

Gs300Luver

Tires R pricey, but not that pricey for one.

Wherever you are going to get tires...don't go there!

Have you checked tirerack.com? They have Blizzak WS-50s for $90 a piece on closeout. Check it:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compare1.jsp...amp;search=true

Hope this helps.