00 Rx300 Strut Mount Replacement

Richen

My dealer told me that I need to replace all four struts and mounts. The quote was $2.5K.

The only part available at the Tire rack is KYB GR-2 Strut. When I read the user's review, some states the ride is too firm compare to the origin ride. This is my wife's car. I don't want to make her complaint on these stiffer struts.

Any advice where I could replace the struts and mounts other than Lexus?

The car has 138K mile on it. Aside from the struts issue, the car runs perfectly.

Thanks,

Richard

You may not need to replace your struts and strut mounts. What you DO need to replace is your front strut mount rubber bushings. The original bushings were improperly designed and poorly made. As a result, many RX300 owners began to hear squeaks and rattles and experience a poorer quality ride after just a couple of years. Lexus looked at the issue, recognized that their engineers had made mistakes, and redesigned the rubber bushings to fit better.

There is a Technical Service Bulletin on this issue. Ask your Lexus service manager about it and use your VIN number to find out if the TSB has been applied to your particular vehicle yet.

Before you go to the expense of replacing your struts, have the TSB done to your vehicle first and then see if your problems are rectified. I had the TSB done to my wife's previous 2000 RX300 and it made a big difference, both in quieting the squeaking and improving the ride and handling....