Rx400h Power Is Pretty Impressive.

Have been taking it relatively easy on the new 400h until it gets at least 1-2k miles on it. But today I was entering a highway and noticed a car coming up the right lane pretty fast (I hate people who cruise the right lane on a 3+ lane highway with lots of exits), I punched it and went from about 35 to 70 really quick with the car pushing me back in my seat. I was impressed. We traded a 340hp Audi V8 on the 400h, so I was used to having plenty of reserve power available.

What did not impress me was I could feel the front wheels lose some traction as I punched it (road was a little wet). Either the traction control or the rear wheel electric motor kicked in and stopped it, I didn't let up. The Audi never would have done that, I could barely get the Audi to spin on snow and ice.

To call our cars all wheel drive is a stretch. I think of it is a front wheel drive with occasional rear wheel assist.

Another impressive thing is that we're averaging 27 mpg on our 2nd tank of gas (according the the consumption computer).

It's worse if you don't have AWD. There's a lot of torque available to the front wheels and it's pretty easy to break them loose. That being said, Lexus did a decent job of tuning out torque-steer.

And the occasional power is fun.

Tom

I often drive a 375 HP Corvette (3200 lbs), yet I, too, am very impressed with the acceleration of the RX. Remember that Car & Driver achieved 0-60 in 6.7 seconds in the RX400h - fast enough to out-accelerate a Porsche Cayenne S! As you have found out, the RX is heavily front-biased when it comes to drive traction. Hang onto that steering wheel when stomping on the gas pedal!

Dave

I never felt like I would lose control, and as I said, I didn't let up. It was just a momentary bit of slippage but it surprised me a little. I knew it would never be anything close to the Audi in handling but I am surprised that it compares favorably in the power dept. The Audi Quattro AWD system, which is as good as it gets, steals a LOT of crank HP.

I'll have to give it a real test the next time we get some slippery stuff. It's the wife's car (I'm jealous) and she drives like a little old lady so it should be fine.

Good size 4000 lb SUV with plenty of power, 27 mpg, super low emissions, really nice ride, and great creature comforts.....that's a winning combination!