Please Help My 1992 Lexus Ls 400!

tlewis

I have a 1992 lexus ls 400 with less than 150,000 miles on it. We have recently replaced the power steering pump, the alternator and put in a new battery. We bought the car in Florida 3 1/2 years ago and replaced the alternator about 6 months after we bought it. At the time we didn't know about the problem with the power steering leaking onto the alternator and shorting it out, we recently moved to NC where the weather is colder and the alternator let go again. Thanks to this forum and others we found out about the power steering leak (it wasn't bad until we moved here) so we changed out both. Then we started having trouble with the battery and had it tested and bought a new one. Well now when we leave for work it is still dark so we have to have the lights on and when we step on the brakes the lights will dim, it's not a lot but it's noticable. Also when we turn on the AC (not that we're using it now but just testing) it immediately shut's the car down. I have read in other posts that this might be the compressor so we'll check that out before it warms up again,it doesn't do it with the heat. The dimming of the lights has us puzzled though. Does anyone have any idea's what we can check? I love my car but my husband is getting frustrated with the problems and want's to sell it. I want to keep it but we can't keep pouring money into it. If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate your help.

Where did you get the new alternator and battery? I wonder if they're the right ones for your car. May be underpowered.

You're talking about the headlights dimming, right?

We purchased the rebuilt alternator and the battery from an auto parts store after we researched them on line and saw what was recommended on line

the headlights dim when you put the brakes on, it doesn't last just for a few seconds.

I have a 1992 lexus ls 400 with less than 150,000 miles on it. We have recently replaced the power steering pump, the alternator and put in a new battery. We bought the car in Florida 3 1/2 years ago and replaced the alternator about 6 months after we bought it. At the time we didn't know about the problem with the power steering leaking onto the alternator and shorting it out, we recently moved to NC where the weather is colder and the alternator let go again. Thanks to this forum and others we found out about the power steering leak (it wasn't bad until we moved here) so we changed out both. Then we started having trouble with the battery and had it tested and bought a new one. Well now when we leave for work it is still dark so we have to have the lights on and when we step on the brakes the lights will dim, it's not a lot but it's noticable. Also when we turn on the AC (not that we're using it now but just testing) it immediately shut's the car down. I have read in other posts that this might be the compressor so we'll check that out before it warms up again,it doesn't do it with the heat. The dimming of the lights has us puzzled though. Does anyone have any idea's what we can check? I love my car but my husband is getting frustrated with the problems and want's to sell it. I want to keep it but we can't keep pouring money into it. If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate your help.

The '92 LS has 7 brake light bulbs, 6 of them are ~18 watts, about 120 watts overall, so a slight, just noticeable dimming of the headlights might be normal.

But the engine shutting down when you run the A/C isn't.

When removing the alternator it is easiest from the bottom and even easier if you remove the ground strap from the engine to the body that's sort of in the way.

Someone forget to put it back or didn't tighten it well??