Jim Walker Climate/clock Lcd Part - Pix

mejojo

I made a post on Friday night about installing the LCD part from Jim Walker.

I'm too bushed to re-do it, but I'll throw up the pictures so you can get a glimpse. Not original looking, but it works.

Before:

LexusLCD-1.jpg

After:

LexusLCD-2.jpg

We also inquired as to what a Mikado repair looks like...what to they use? Does it look original? Is it NOT the same faulty original part?

Joe

Okay, the differences are:

1) The font is different; the originals have a slant to them, and are larger, like the radio display. Also, the replacement characters are aligned higher, leaving more empty space below than above.

2) The original is LCD panel is transluscent whereas the replacement LCD panel is opaque. What this means is the background looks whiter, there is higher contrast, and most importantly to me, when the lights are on, the original has an even glow across the panel. With the replacement, the bulb illuminates the center of the panel, gradually darkening towards the side. Said otherwise, it looks more like a Ford than a Lexus.

All that said, it does work!

Joe

Hi MJJ,

Thanks for the great pix. Good digital camera (5 MPIX??).

I looked for your Friday post on the replacement of the LCD, but theres a wipe out between Sep. 15- Nov 22 from the server crash. Any chance of giving the instructions again when not so bushed, please ??

Many thank you's,

G

I don't think I supplied any instructions, except to say that Jim's instructions were easily followed. There's just a few screws to undo (10, I think...8 black and 2 gold). The only touchy part was removing the old LCD panel and cover plate from the face, because you don't want to crack the window. Soldering the 45 contacts was easy. I did it with a big old clumsy soldering iron...it's not tight work at all.

Joe

P.S. The camera is one of the first 2 MP cameras, a Nikon Coolpix 950, so it's pretty ancient. Also, you should realize that I had to reduce the size of the image so that people could look at it, otherwise most people would only see a small portion of the picture on their screen at a time. I believe the effective resolution of this picture is less than .5 MP.