Tires/wheels

heyoceanfloor

So I know next to nothing on tires or wheels. I know that the stock numbers for our cars is 215/45-17 on 17x7 +50, but I can't really say I understand all the numbers or the implications of changing them. Is there a site where I can read up on this kind of stuff so I know what I'm talking about/looking for? The next two major things I want to do are coilovers and new wheels/tires and I figure I should do some research while I don't have any money :P

thanks for the help on a newbie question haha

So I know next to nothing on tires or wheels. I know that the stock numbers for our cars is 215/45-17 on 17x7 +50, but I can't really say I understand all the numbers or the implications of changing them. Is there a site where I can read up on this kind of stuff so I know what I'm talking about/looking for? The next two major things I want to do are coilovers and new wheels/tires and I figure I should do some research while I don't have any money :P

215/45R17. The first numbers (215) are the width of the tire in mm. Next (45) means from the rim to the outside of the tire is 45% of the width. (45% of 215) This is called aspect ratio. The R means Radial and 17 is the rim diameter. The 17x7 means the rim is 17" in diameter and 7" wide. +50 is the rim offset.

This may help too.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/tec...e.jsp?techid=46