Gas Tank Capacity

Wubbman

Hey, I've been wodering about this for some time. The manual for my '95 (a proper '95 manual) says the gas tank holds 18.5 gallons. But, whenever I fill the car up when its on empty, the most it takes is 13 gallons. I checked the manual several times and I'm positive I read the figure right (not 18.5 liters). This is thus very confusing. Does anyone have an explanation for this? :huh:

The gas gauge sending unit(in the gas tank) could be slightly defective. The tank does hold 18.5 gallons, but there is a reserve of a couple of gallons, so when it reads E on your gauge you still have some fuel. Also, fuel gauges are not that linear as far as the display is concerned. Did you ever notice that'll stay on full to ½ full a longer time than when it goes from ½ full to empty? Every car has idiosyncrasies in their fuel measurement systems. ;)

I just filled up tonight and noticed the same thing! Mine's a 93 BTW. And I look back through my gas receipts and it's been pretty consistent; the most I recall seeing I think was 15 and I usually let it go till the light comes on or slightly before. I also avg. about 15 mpg (17 last tank and 13 this past one tonight) but then again, I know there's something wrong with my tranny, so I'm guessin that's got some to do with it. <_<