Fuel Additives For Engine/intake Cleaning

safric99

Did a search and did not find info much besides the seafoam cleaning.

Was considering using gumout all-in-one.

What is general opinion on effectiveness of fuel additives like Gumout/STP/etc in cleaning the fuel system, intake and engine ?

Anyone else used this or similar products ?

What is general opinion on effectiveness of fuel additives like Gumout/STP/etc in cleaning the fuel system, intake and engine ?

Do you have a problem or do you just want to use something for fun?

Most all gas companies add there own fuel system cleaners and unless you are using really cheap off brand gas or are having some kind of fuel problem you are just wasting your money and if not done right you could be causing more problems then you started with. If you do use a tank additive make sure you put it in at the gas station and before you add the fuel. Never add a higher concentration then the mfg. recommends as these are strong solvents and WILL ruin your fuel pump and injectors if not used correctly.

Jeff

With EFI the fuel is injected right at the intake valve into each cylinder so there is NO way fuel aditives can clean the air intake path.

Unless you have used on of those "highly efficient" air filters, say K&N, your intake isn't likely to need any "cleaning".

Thx for the feedback.

Honda dealer wanted to do intake cleaning for wifes Odyssey at 60k service.

Got me thinking about using one as preventative maintenence - better to slow/prevent any buildup than try to get rid of it.

I do use costco gas quite a bit - generally costco products are pretty high quality but not sure if that applies to gas as well ...

SO recommendation is to just use a good brand of gas - any preference ?

Thx for the feedback.

Honda dealer wanted to do intake cleaning for wifes Odyssey at 60k service.

Got me thinking about using one as preventative maintenence - better to slow/prevent any buildup than try to get rid of it.

I do use costco gas quite a bit - generally costco products are pretty high quality but not sure if that applies to gas as well ...

SO recommendation is to just use a good brand of gas - any preference ?

I'm a Costco gas user also and never had any problems on any of my cars.

Jeff