Fuel Filter Location

Diz

I did a search for the location and I must be blind because I couldn't find anything. My friend has an 01 IS300 with 108 on the clock. She isn't getting good gas mileage and she was suggested to change her fuel filter. We needed to know the location of that and also would it be a good idea to do the fuel pump as well? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone.

The fuel filter wouldn't have anything to do with poor gas mileage. I mean think about it, if the fuel filter was dirty and clogged, then the car would be getting less fuel, and the fuel pump itself would have to work harder. When you step on the throttle the car would want to die or break up in the upper rpm range as the car needed more fuel.

The ECU logs driving patterns and adjusts to how you drive the car over time. So, I would start with the easiest fixes first. Disconnect the negative battery terminal for about 15 or 20 minutes. Then reconnect it. Then log you next tank of gas and see if you start getting better gas mileage. That will clear the ECU. I am assuming you have done the oil changes, and new air filter, and spark plugs were changed and gapped correctly? So, next I would check the intake and make sure its clean. You may want to consider having the fuel injectors cleaned , and even the throttle body itself could use a good cleaning. And one last thing is to clean the 02 sensors and make sure you have good exhaust flow, as older catalytic converters can start to get clogged.

But if you think it's the fuel filter and/or pump, you will have to remove the back seat. Underneath the driverside rear seat is the access panel for the fuel pump and filter. Good luck.

Thank you for all the information it is much appreciated, we just went out and did the disconnection of the battery and will be reconnecting and going to get fuel here in a bit. As far as the rest of the maintenance, the oil changes have been religious, she has a brand new K&N air filter, spark plugs were changed a few thousand miles ago, and she has a new throttle body. The reason she was concerned is because when she got the car she got 25 mpg consistently and is now only getting 20 mpg with more highway driving than before. The fuel filter and fuel pump was recommended by a mechanic. Again thank you for all the info. I'll keep this updated with any improvements.

The fuel filter wouldn't have anything to do with poor gas mileage. I mean think about it, if the fuel filter was dirty and clogged, then the car would be getting less fuel, and the fuel pump itself would have to work harder. When you step on the throttle the car would want to die or break up in the upper rpm range as the car needed more fuel.

The ECU logs driving patterns and adjusts to how you drive the car over time. So, I would start with the easiest fixes first. Disconnect the negative battery terminal for about 15 or 20 minutes. Then reconnect it. Then log you next tank of gas and see if you start getting better gas mileage. That will clear the ECU. I am assuming you have done the oil changes, and new air filter, and spark plugs were changed and gapped correctly? So, next I would check the intake and make sure its clean. You may want to consider having the fuel injectors cleaned , and even the throttle body itself could use a good cleaning. And one last thing is to clean the 02 sensors and make sure you have good exhaust flow, as older catalytic converters can start to get clogged.

But if you think it's the fuel filter and/or pump, you will have to remove the back seat. Underneath the driverside rear seat is the access panel for the fuel pump and filter. Good luck.

K&N air filter huh? I would pull that filter and look at the inside of the air intake after the filter and make sure your not coating the intake with the oil they use in the filter. If you see it is, your MAS maybe coated as well and need to be cleaned.

I made a boo boo she says it is the OEM air filter that was replaced in the car.

K&N air filter huh? I would pull that filter and look at the inside of the air intake after the filter and make sure your not coating the intake with the oil they use in the filter. If you see it is, your MAS maybe coated as well and need to be cleaned.