Read This Regarding Radiator Problems

Shredmonster

This problem is not just a TSB - it is actually a full-blown RECALL due to a defective radiator design on the 2004 RX330. Be aware that Lexus refers to recalls as "campaigns". I guess the word "campaign" makes it sound a little less like a mistake by the Lexus design engineers. Kind of like calling a toilet a "water closet"....

This recall goes by the name "4LF - Radiator Campaign". It applies to all Canadian-built 2004 RX330 vehicles. If you own one and you still have the original radiator, simply call your Lexus service manager with your VIN number, ensure that they order a new radiator for you, and then schedule your radiator replacement appointment once your new radiator arrives at the service department. There is no charge to you since this is indeed a recall. Again, this is ONLY for the 2004 RX330....

My radiator started leaking at 59,000 miles. Took it into my local dealer and they replaced it free of charge. They said they have been seeing problems with them....

It would be beneficial to all of us if you would post year and model when you make an initial post. To say just "my 330" or something like that is really an incomplete post!

Just my two cents worth.

Gary

• 1 month later...
The 2004 RX330 warranty was extended to 7 years 90,000 miles. Mine went bad and was replaced under warranty at 89,500...whew!

Is that only for original owners or an across-the-board warranty extension for all the 04 RX330's? The dealer I purchased it from said that the original warranty was still good, but after the purchase he changed it to say that it had expired. If I was staying in the area, I would have been really upset, but since I was taking the car overseas, it didn't really make much difference.

I am not sure because I am the original owner of mine. Lexus sent me an addendum warranty page for my owners manual which stated the extended warranty on the radiator. Therefore I would assume it extends to any owner within 7 years/90k from date of initial delivery.

• 8 months later...
I am not sure because I am the original owner of mine. Lexus sent me an addendum warranty page for my owners manual which stated the extended warranty on the radiator. Therefore I would assume it extends to any owner within 7 years/90k from date of initial delivery.

Due to this faulty design, my 2004 RX330 now has engine damage that Lexus has decided they will not fix at their cost. Can anyone direct me to the specifics of this radiator campaign?

This problem is not just a TSB - it is actually a full-blown RECALL due to a defective radiator design on the 2004 RX330. Be aware that Lexus refers to recalls as "campaigns". I guess the word "campaign" makes it sound a little less like a mistake by the Lexus design engineers. Kind of like calling a toilet a "water closet"....

This recall goes by the name "4LF - Radiator Campaign". It applies to all 2004 RX330 vehicles. If you own one and you still have the original radiator, simply call your Lexus service manager with your VIN number, ensure that they order a new radiator for you, and then schedule your radiator replacement appointment once your new radiator arrives at the service department. There is no charge to you since this is indeed a recall. Again, this is ONLY for the 2004 RX330....

I called and I am over the mileage limit (we have 102K on our 2004 RX330). If this is truly a recall, I didn't think recalls had any mileage or year limits. Was the dealer just giving me the run around?

• Like 1

Due to this faulty design, my 2004 RX330 now has engine damage that Lexus has decided they will not fix at their cost. Can anyone direct me to the specifics of this radiator campaign?

I have less than 60K on my Rx 330 and Lexus of Westmont Illinois denies that there is even a Campaign or Recall to fix the Radiators.

Be aware that this recall is only for the radiators in Canadian-built 2004 RX330 models. The Japanese-built models apparently used better-quality radiators and don't suffer the leak problems....

That dealership in Illinois is either misinformed or lying....

Be aware that this recall is only for the radiators in Canadian-built 2004 RX330 models. The Japanese-built models apparently used better-quality radiators and don't suffer the leak problems....

That makes sense .... our RX was made in Japan .... I called back and was told ours wasn't covered (too many miles), but also, it was affected.

Thanks for clarifying.

I guess the recall doesn't apply to all Canadian made 04s. I called Lexus and the above didn't apply to my VIN even though it is make in Canada.

Hope they are right. I would hate to have this blow up in another 40,000 miles.

Perhaps the Lexus factory in Canada began using non-defective radiators at a certain VIN number during the 2004 model year production run. But that is only speculation on my part. If I were you, I wouldn't trust just that one dealer. I would call other dealers separately to find out if they all give you the same information. If they do, then you probably stand a better chance of indeed having a non-defective radiator....

Perhaps the Lexus factory in Canada began using non-defective radiators at a certain VIN number during the 2004 model year production run. But that is only speculation on my part. If I were you, I wouldn't trust just that one dealer. I would call other dealers separately to find out if they all give you the same information. If they do, then you probably stand a better chance of indeed having a non-defective radiator....

Checking owners literature today on '05 found letter from Lexus on warranty extension if notice leaking. Disturbing, since brittle plastic usually results in sudden failure, and easy engine damage. 7/90k for '04 through late '05. Didn't mention Canadian but assume received letter because VIN covered. Was it recall for '04 and extended warranty for others?

• 5 years later...

I have a cracked radiator!

Live in New England and we have had some severely cold weather over the last year- bought the '04 RX330 as a 2nd owner with 29K miles.

Have had trouble with heat/air/engine needle going up into the red zone. Filled the coolant (it was empty) all was fine. Now its empty again and no heat and needle in red again. Took it to local mechanic - crack in radiator. It's been so cold we twice had pipes burst in the garage over the last 2 years.

Called local dealer 'no recall". Called Lexus - no recall. "we don't keep track of recalls on our cars manufactured in Canada" what? My VIN # starts with 2T2 - I googled it - manufactured in Canada. My last 7 digits also falls smack in the middle of those recalled. Now what? No one seems to want to help - and no one knows about the recall.

$800 to replace the radiator ... not the worst thing- but if it was recalled - should I have to pay? I was never notified. Any advice?