Disable Rain Sensing Wipers

robs-rx330

Living in Washington state windshield wipers get lots of use. A good share of the time a steady intermittent wipe does the job perfectly. I'm far from in love with the Lexus rain sensing wiper system. I am constantly flipping the wiper control to give it a wipe when the auto sensing unit doesn't do enough or cursing it when it comes on for little or no reason.

What I'm wondering is if it's possible to reprogram the wiper system to return it to a standard/manually operated intermittent wiper system. I know I'd be much happier setting them where I want and leaving it alone. :cries:

Thanks for any advice, Rob

• 2 weeks later...
Rob,

Is the sensitivity turned all the way up? How long have you had the car.

When I bought mine I HATED the auto wipers. However, over the years I've come to really like them.

Had it since last spring which in Washington is plenty of time to try out the wipers. I've got the sensitivity all the way up.

Another annoyance of mine is the lack of exterior courtesy lighting when you disarm the alarm in the dark. My wife's several year old GMC is nice when you approach in the dark and the exterior lights come on at a push of the remote, one of several user customizable features. It's beginning to register with me that the Japanese build a good solid car but don't have near as many of the user customizable features figured out as the Americans do.

• 2 months later...

I have a 2007 ES 350.

But IS IT POSSIBLE to disable the rain sensing wipers? I miss the manually controlled wipers and want a way to turn off the automatic feature. The "off" text on the wiper control stem is apparently useless.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Yes...here in Texas we have drizzle too! Lexus "rain sensing" wipers are a JOKE. They suck. I want my ES300 intermittent wipers back. I'm totally disappointed that Lexus would put such a poorly performing feature on their automobiles. It shows that poor engineering and product testing was done before committing to production. A big BOO to the Lexus/Toyota engineering team for this lemon.

So I just spent two hours figuring out how to solve the problem. I won't bore you with the details but what I figured out is that if you DISCONNECT the rain sensor the ECM unit (which controls the windshield wipers) will think that the "rain sensing" option is not installed. In this case the ECM reverts to speed adaptive "intermittent" mode. Hurray! That's just what I wanted! Above 20mph the intermittent period will shorten and below 20 mph it lengthens.

The wire going to the sensor module has a latching connector. Squeeze the latch properly and the connector will unplug.

Presto! You're done! You now have speed-adaptive "intermittent" windshield wipers. The adjuster ring on the wiper lever sets the wiper period.

I call this the "Charlie in Texas" mod.

Yes...here in Texas we have drizzle too! Lexus "rain sensing" wipers are a JOKE. They suck. I want my ES300 intermittent wipers back. I'm totally disappointed that Lexus would put such a poorly performing feature on their automobiles. It shows that poor engineering and product testing was done before committing to production. A big BOO to the Lexus/Toyota engineering team for this lemon.

So I just spent two hours figuring out how to solve the problem. I won't bore you with the details but what I figured out is that if you DISCONNECT the rain sensor the ECM unit (which controls the windshield wipers) will think that the "rain sensing" option is not installed. In this case the ECM reverts to speed adaptive "intermittent" mode. Hurray! That's just what I wanted! Above 20mph the intermittent period will shorten and below 20 mph it lengthens.

The wire going to the sensor module has a latching connector. Squeeze the latch properly and the connector will unplug.

Presto! You're done! You now have speed-adaptive "intermittent" windshield wipers. The adjuster ring on the wiper lever sets the wiper period.

Pictures, pictures, please!

• 3 months later...

It annoys me too that it does it when it's snowing all the time. There are times when not using the wipers is better when it's snowing, especially when it's dry snow -- those who live where it snows a lot should know what I'm talking about. Otherwise, I like it too on my RX.

However, my concern is when I'm using my remote starter. If there's snow on the front window, and I start the engine remotely, would the wipers still work? I was hoping this only works when the gear is not in PARK.

Thanks!

It annoys me too that it does it when it's snowing all the time. There are times when not using the wipers is better when it's snowing, especially when it's dry snow -- those who live where it snows a lot should know what I'm talking about. Otherwise, I like it too on my RX.

However, my concern is when I'm using my remote starter. If there's snow on the front window, and I start the engine remotely, would the wipers still work? I was hoping this only works when the gear is not in PARK.

Thanks!

Um... Turns out this feature can be turned off on an RX350 (just got one a couple of days ago). Also, if you leave it on and remote start. It will actually activate when it senses humidity on the windshield. Not exactly a good situation if you happen to have a thick layer of snow on the windshield.

Cheers!

• 7 months later...

I found an even easier way to revert back to normal intermittent wiper operation - just unplug the rain sensor connector above the rear view mirror. You have to remove the plastic cover (no tools required), but it's easier than getting to the wiper ECU on my 07 RX400h. I suppose I could install a switch to easily enable/disable the rain sensing function.

• 4 years later...

Pictures, pictures, please!

I found an even easier way to revert back to normal intermittent wiper operation - just unplug the rain sensor connector above the rear view mirror. You have to remove the plastic cover (no tools required), but it's easier than getting to the wiper ECU on my 07 RX400h. I suppose I could install a switch to easily enable/disable the rain sensing function.

Disabling the AUTO feature is probably the best option. The original system is just too funky. I had an Audi A4 with AUTO wipers which ran perfectly. I think Lexus needs to spend some time with German and Hungarian engineers who have the Audi and MBenz systems working as they should.

Hi guys!

Luckily, it's not raining today so maybe here in the Mid West we''ll start to get a hold of some signs of spring.

Regarding the auto-windshield wiper feature, I really like it. I had the feature on my 2010 ES and now on my 2013 ES, as well as our 2013 RX. They come on when their suppose to, I can select the speed and I can select the sensitivity of the auto-on feature.

The only complaint I have is when you first start the car, and pull away from the curb, The auto sensor will not kick in until you lower the wiper on stalk and then after that things go fine.

Paul

• 1 year later...

For my 2005 ES330, I wanted to disable the rain sensing functionality because it did not work. Variable intermittent wiper functionality is what I wanted. I had read in this thread and in another that simply unplugging the 4 pole wiring connector at the sensor was sufficient to have the system revert to variable intermittent wipers. This is not the case, at least not for my 2005 ES330.

However, it is possible to revert to intermittent functionality by removing the sensor lens from the sensor assembly. Once one has popped the sensor and its cover off the windshield, the lens can be accessed. It can be easily removed by pushing outwards on two plastic tabs that hold it in. Once the lens is removed from the assembly, reinstall the remaining sensor assembly with cover. Then make sure to plug in the P4 wiring connector. Now the wipers revert to variable intermittent wipers. At the '+' setting, the wipers will wipe every 2 seconds. At the '-' setting, the wipers operate every 10 seconds or so. The intermediate settings are 3 and 5 seconds IIRC. 

• 3 years later...

So I'm raising this thread from the depths of time... 2015 RX 350 F-Sport, similar problem. But, after reading through multiple posts and all the fixed, I solved my problem. Thanks all!!

Problem: intermittent working of the auto wiping feature. What was most strange is that my wipers did not default to the standard way intermittent wipers should work when the auto feature does not...🤔 That lead me to believe that the feature was working but wasn't sensing properly 🤔🤔 which left me quite perplexed. So the caveman in me lead me to pushing and squeezing the sensor which, to a degree, caused the feature to work, sometimes...🤯 More reading followed and somewhere along the way I purchased a new gel pad (tape) from an on-line OEM source for a reasonable $12. So last night, right before our road trip tomorrow, I set out to tackle the sensor. Armed with only my fat fingers, some alcohol prep wipers and my strongest pair of cheaters, I pulled the sensor and old gel pad, cleaned both surfaces, thrice, put it all back together, tested it with rain-x mists, and voila! She works great! Most likely, the sensor was improper fitted to the mounting bracket causing the gel to become contaminated with dust and causing malfunction. My 2 cents worth...

PS: don't drop the new gel pad onto dirty floor mats...

PSS: if you are doing this task with everything still attached to the vehicle, you will need to place the gel to the sensor face instead of inside the mounting bracket (also see PS above 😑)

• 1 month later...

New to me 2007 RX350. First, how would I know if I have the rain sensor option? Second, how would I make sure that the wipers won't go on when going through a car wash? Moving the stalk switch to off does not stop the wipers.

Thanks for any info!

8 minutes ago, Dave Anderson said:

New to me 2007 RX350. First, how would I know if I have the rain sensor option? Second, how would I make sure that the wipers won't go on when going through a car wash? Moving the stalk switch to off does not stop the wipers.

Thanks for any info!

See pages 121-122 of the 2007 RX350 owners manual which can be viewed at https://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/document/om-s/OM48699U/pdf/OM48699U.pdf

Page 122 shows the location of the optional rain sensor.  If you have the optional rain sensor and want the feature off when going through a car wash, turn AUTO mode off.

Cars with the rain sensor option have a control panel mounted within a plastic housing approx 4 x 4" up behind the rear view mirror.  Non-sensor equipped cars show a standard mirror mount approx 1.5 x 1.5.    The 4 x 4 housing contains a plug than can be removed from the inside panel, disabling the feature.  The wiper control arm will continue to allow manual selections of the wiper speed, the intermittent frequency, washer activity, etc. 

• 2 years later...

Re: Digimojo 11/14/16:  BINGO!!  Simply unplugging the sensor in my '06 ES330 did not work to disaable the rain sensor.  Removing the lens (easy) and plugging the module back in and putting back up on the windshield (easy) worked.  GOOD RIDDANCE rain sensor!

Many thanks Digimojo!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

10 thumbs up for removing lens of sensor, I actually covered it up with black electrical tape, and blue masking tape. Old thread , but so happy I found it, joined the blog just to report this. Digimojo is the MAN. Quick story, new to me car got hit with a golf ball within a couple weeks, shattered it , looked like a  baseball bat went through it. Ignorantly told the mobile repair I did NOT have rain sensing wipers, tech shows up and says it’s a non sensing windshield (cheaper) I said screw it, put it in. Auto wipers were spastic for months, had no intermittent (which I prefer) until today. 1/11/23. Noice!!