1995 Es300 Octane Question

SmoothRide

I just got a used 1995 es300. However, the manual in my car is for a 96 model. The carfax report has mine listed as a 95. Anyways, the manuall tells me to use 87 octane, and 91 if you so choose to. Will my 95( which i assume it is) es300 work fine on 87 octane?

thanks guys

-Miles

Normally you can use 87 octane fuel in your '95 ES, depending on the condition of your engine. If after using 87 octane you find a pinging sound(pre-ignition) when accelerating or putting the engine under load you can go to a higher octane. Read this to find more about fuel selection.>Fuel Selection

You can get a free 1995 Owners Manual by Registering your car with the Lexus Corporation.>Register Here

I just got a used 1995 es300. However, the manual in my car is for a 96 model. The carfax report has mine listed as a 95. Anyways, the manuall tells me to use 87 octane, and 91 if you so choose to. Will my 95( which i assume it is) es300 work fine on 87 octane?

I have a 93 and my owners manual says the same thing, but i use the 91. I do have to say though if my husband uses my car he will put the 87 in. And like Alan said you can register at lexus.com and get a free owners manual. I did it and they sent it in the mail to me. Gotta love lexus! ;)

Jill

Yha register and get a free one.

But it is somewhat usueless as the 95-96 have zero changes they are identical twins in every way.

I use 91 in my car and nothing else, but i sort of liek over kill . I find the car to run much better but it could just be me.

In my 98 es300, I have been trying the 87 to see if I can tell a difference. No knocking ever encountered, HOWEVER, under certain conditions, hard acceleration from start on an incline, I have experienced a slight lag (very short, but noticible when you are accelarating so you won't get T-boned or rear-ended by oncoming traffic :whistles: ) about three times so far under these conditions.

But for the majority of my driving, 87 if fine.

Next up, I will see if the 89 octane does the same.

FWIW, the owner's manual in the '93 ES 300 does note that there will be slightly better performance with 91 octane than with 86 or 87 octane. Because of the different engine in the '95 model, I can't vouch for the info there.

From my own experience, (I also have a five-speed manual tranny) I notice the engine on 91 or higher octane gives its torque kick around 3100 rpm and on 87 or 89 octane, the same kick comes around 3600 rpm. There is a dicernible difference off the line as well. The question is if this slightly better acceleration is worth the extra $0.20 per gallon. If you do some mountain driving, it's probably worth the fun. If you do a lot of highway driving, the extra octane and higher cost probably isn't worth the difference.

i use 94 octane but i guess you really dont have to go that far!im a little extreme with my car so nothing but the best goes into it.i would use 91 but thats just me.i feel a differnce in performance between 87 and 94 so thats why i use it.