Noob Vin Question....thanks

hello all, i am very new to the sc400 seen. i am looking to purchase this week, any link on how to read vin.

i just noticed i only have 16 digits, and was wondering if my missing digit was common, hence the link on how to read vin.

any help will be greatly appreated....if all goes well i get it friday

1992 sc400.........160,000 still runs great

hello all, i am very new to the sc400 seen. i am looking to purchase this week, any link on how to read vin.

i just noticed i only have 16 digits, and was wondering if my missing digit was common, hence the link on how to read vin.

I think if you look closely that you will see a 17th character in the VIN. One of the positions in the VIN is a "check digit". When a numeric calculation (alpha characters are assigned a number for purpose of calculation), the result of the equation equals (or is supposed to equal) the check digit. Only 16 characters of the VIN actually describe the car (country of origen, manufacturer, etc.).

I used to be pretty good at interpreting VINs, including the old pre-17 character formats, but it has been nearly 20 years since I did that.

Yes, I occassionally saw invalid VINs on vehicles back in the 1980s - I probably saw only three or four kick out as invalid of the many millions that a computer program analyzed.

I think if you look closely that you will see a 17th character in the VIN. One of the positions in the VIN is a "check digit". When a numeric calculation (alpha characters are assigned a number for purpose of calculation), the result of the equation equals (or is supposed to equal) the check digit. Only 16 characters of the VIN actually describe the car (country of origen, manufacturer, etc.).

I used to be pretty good at interpreting VINs, including the old pre-17 character formats, but it has been nearly 20 years since I did that.

Yes, I occassionally saw invalid VINs on vehicles back in the 1980s - I probably saw only three or four kick out as invalid of the many millions that a computer program analyzed.

I believe all vehicle went from 14 digits to 17 digits in 1980.