Rear Defroster And Oil Change Noob Question?

TomTA

I am new to the SC400 and love it. The problems I have noticed are possible LCA bushings or a ball joint on the right side, which I will look at this weekend, and the rear defroster does not work.

I have checked the obvious for the rear defroster, fuse and relay, both seem to be in good condition. Next on the list is to inspect the connection to the rear window and make sure power is making it to the window connection. My question is how do I access that connection point? Through the trunk, or behind the back seat and under the hat shelf?

I am also going to change the oil for the first time this weekend. Any suggestions about jacking points and where to put the jack stands? Things appear to be well covered on the bottom side of the car and I don't want to break something.

I really don't know where the connectors are for rear Defroster. i haven't done this before. You should be able to access it from the trunk near the gas tank.

Are the defroster grids getting hot at all?

Another thing to check is your mirrors. My 98 SC300 has the heated mirrors that are activated when the rear defroster is on.

My mirrors work like a charm, and I have checked the fuse and swapped the relay with the headlight relay without changing the way the headlights work. I took out the trunk lining and found things in there are easy to work on, but no heater wires. I suspect they are on the sides of the window and I need to take things apart around the window trim. I spent too much time teaching a Datsun roadster owner about his car so I did not start that project. Next week.....

Another thing to check is your mirrors. My 98 SC300 has the heated mirrors that are activated when the rear defroster is on.

My mirrors work like a charm, and I have checked the fuse and swapped the relay with the headlight relay without changing the way the headlights work. I took out the trunk lining and found things in there are easy to work on, but no heater wires. I suspect they are on the sides of the window and I need to take things apart around the window trim. I spent too much time teaching a Datsun roadster owner about his car so I did not start that project. Next week.....

Let us know how it warms up. a Datsun 2k-impressive :cheers: