Don't Want To Overfill The Tranny But.....

AustinGT

After reading about the recommended 2 qt fluid change along with oil changes, I picked up some T-IV and swapped some this weekend. I drained the pan- although I was stupid and didn't measure exactly how much came out- and slowly added more. I added about 1.75 quarts and stopped there, 'cause I didn't want to overfill it. Today when after driving for about 10 minutes with the engine idling and in neutral I checked the fluid, and it was at the top of the "cool" mark, while the day before while cold it was at the top of the "hot" mark... I am sure that this would have been avoided by measuring what came out.... but should I stick with the lower reading (with the engine running and in neutral) and add some more fluid? Just want to be extra careful I don't screw anything up... Thanks!

Do you have your owners manual? Mine states quite clearly the correct procedure for testing is when hot, and that cold levels are only a rough guide. But its important that its not too hot! i.e. 10 miles of easy driving I think was recommended. I would give you the details from mine but I am on holiday in New Zealand at the moment, so its a bit tricky!

Good luck.

Austin, you need to add that additional .25 quarts. I did this proceedure with my 95 at least a dozen times over the years, always put in exactly 2 quarts, always, and never ever ever had a single problem. After about the third cycle, the transmission felt like it was brand spankin' new. I drained that pan on a steep hill, car jacked up on one side, flat surfaces, etc... you name it. Always 2 quearts out, 2 quarts in. Stick to that, and you'll be a-ok...

After reading about the recommended 2 qt fluid change along with oil changes, I picked up some T-IV and swapped some this weekend. I drained the pan- although I was stupid and didn't measure exactly how much came out- and slowly added more. I added about 1.75 quarts and stopped there, 'cause I didn't want to overfill it. Today when after driving for about 10 minutes with the engine idling and in neutral I checked the fluid, and it was at the top of the "cool" mark, while the day before while cold it was at the top of the "hot" mark... I am sure that this would have been avoided by measuring what came out.... but should I stick with the lower reading (with the engine running and in neutral) and add some more fluid? Just want to be extra careful I don't screw anything up... Thanks!

As long as the fluid level is between the hot and cold marks on the stick, you're OK, provided the fluid is at operating temperature.

When checking the fluid level immediately after refilling the transmission and before you drive off, it's a good idea to step on the brake and shift the transmission into each gear for a short moment. This is to make sure that all the fluid passageways are filled with fluid that may have partially emptied when the pan was drained.

When refilling any automatic transmission, my SOP is to refill the transmission until the fluid is at the low level. I then take it for a test drive (5-10 miles of in town driving) to get the fluid up to operationg temperature. I then check and refill to the correct level.

BTW, long periods of freeway driving can heat the fluid enough to where it will read higher than normal (due to fluid expansion).

As long as the fluid level is between the hot and cold marks on the stick, you're OK, provided the fluid is at operating temperature.

When checking the fluid level immediately after refilling the transmission and before you drive off, it's a good idea to step on the brake and shift the transmission into each gear for a short moment. This is to make sure that all the fluid passageways are filled with fluid that may have partially emptied when the pan was drained.

When refilling any automatic transmission, my SOP is to refill the transmission until the fluid is at the low level. I then take it for a test drive (5-10 miles of in town driving) to get the fluid up to operationg temperature. I then check and refill to the correct level.

BTW, long periods of freeway driving can heat the fluid enough to where it will read higher than normal (due to fluid expansion).

I may add that the transmission at rest, motor turned off, will drain the torque convertor and back fill the pan to a higher level than when it is running. that is when the pump fills the torque convertor and the measurable level drops to cold or warm levels. Take the advise and replace whatever you drained and then check after a few minutes.That'll fill the TQ and drain the dipstick walls of any clinging trans fluid that can hamper a good indication of where the level really is.

Thanks guys- I will add the rest right away! Even running a little low I can tell a (positive!) difference in how it shifts... I have a tendency to be paranoid, but I figure that's probably better than ignoring stuff and racking up big maintanance bills (which are not in this college student's budget!).....