Is250 Grill

The grill on the ISx50 (or in my case the IS250), is it mean't to be sealed up?

To me it doesn't make any sense that between the vertical bars it's nearly all sealed (except i think for a tiny little gap in the bottom right corner).

I dunno if it's only here that's like that but it seems to hinder air intake if you ask me.

More than anything else, i wonder if it affects the air intake or not, it's definately meant to be like that (as in the plastic isn't meant to be removed) but i wonder if it's an Aussie thing or whether it's like this universally.

Edit: I found a picture i took ages ago http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=876330944&size=l

Same stuff the rest of the grill is made of.

Yours sounds like it looks like the same one used in the RX330 as i can also see the radiator + horn/s.

Hmm i wonder if we (us with the sealed grill) should be "concerned" about this or not.

I can think of only ONE thing that would lead to this, aero dynamics but even then it seems stupid to restrict airflow....

My '07 IS250 AWD has an open grill. The air has a direct line to the radiator. You can see the horns and radar cruise control box etc…

I wonder if they have that air closed off in areas where the summer temperatures are not super hot?

I am in the US near Chicago so we get the hottest weather and the colder weather both. I guess I will have to put a piece of cardboard in front of my radiator if my heat stops working well when if is really cold (just kidding)

Another thought, do the cars with closed grills have manual transmissions? The Automatics route the tranny fluid through the radiator in addition to the engine coolant. Maybe the cooling requirements are less for the manual gear boxes.

Regards,

In Australia we get very hot summers, and mild winters, by US standards.

Still have the closed main grill though :wacko:

Is your car an automatic or manual transmission? Don't know if it makes a difference but I am looking for a trend. Is there anything in the air that would cause damage to the radiator? Any large juicy bugs or things of that nature. Sorry but the first thing that comes to mind when I think of Australia is the Outback. Forgive my ignorance. I am just thinking of possible reasons why the grill would be different based on location or vehicle options.

Regards,

Auto box here too.

Seems like an Aussie thing....

Why do we always have to be different :P Although i'm not sure if this is a good or bad thing but a little extra air never hurt.

Nice car bluey.... Sports Luxury :D (Visible differences: headlight washers, fatter wheels, fancy badge [laser cruise control], dimming mirror and rain sensor).

Now i can tell if your IS250 (no IS220d, IS350 or IS250AWD here.....) is Aussie or not :P (damn grill....)

The US model has a plastic divider "shelf" that runs across the width of the car below the upper grill. It extends from the front almost back to the radiator. Does the AU model have that?

No. It has a plastic moulding that runs from the bottom of the bottom grill back under the engine. The air comes in the bottom and can then run up over the the whole radiator. there is a small 'shelf' but not restrictive as far as I can see. Hard to tell with all the plastic wrapping. :rolleyes:

Nice car bluey.... Sports Luxury :D (Visible differences: headlight washers, fatter wheels, fancy badge [laser cruise control], dimming mirror and rain sensor).

Yep. I love the little extras that just make it a pleasure to drive. :cheers:

The US model has a plastic divider "shelf" that runs across the width of the car below the upper grill. It extends from the front almost back to the radiator. Does the AU model have that?

No. It has a plastic moulding that runs from the bottom of the bottom grill back under the engine. The air comes in the bottom and can then run up over the the whole radiator. there is a small 'shelf' but not restrictive as far as I can see. Hard to tell with all the plastic wrapping. :rolleyes:

Sounds like an almost completely different setup then. Mine looks like the radiator gets most of it's air from the upper grill while the lower grill air goes mostly to the a/c condensor and whatever else is below the radiator.