Transmission Getting Clunky

es3502007

Hi All,

After 12500 km's its seem my transmission is starting to get clunky. I was in Montreal last week (crazy driving) and i had to "use" some of the HP over the hood and i found some clunking and hard shifting. In no way was i pinning the gas pedal either.

I'm not experience the rpm increase between 3rd and 4th or 2nd and 3rd like I've been reading in here, but i am concerned and find myself trying to baby my tranny now. I bought this car for its reliability and now it has me a little worried.

Anyone else having transmission issues other then the 2nd/3rd or 3rd/4th (which ever one it is)?

• 1 month later...
Take it to your local dealer. They will probably re-calibrate the module for the tranny. If that doesn't fix it, they will replace it... under warrenty. You will also get a loaner as well.

Do the 2008 ES's have the same transmission problem as the 07's? Iwas planning on ordering an 08 ES350 for my wife tomorrow but after seeing some of these threads here, not sure if its a wise decision...

Where are the 08 ES's manufactured? I forgot to look at the drivers door sticker when we test drove the vehicle.

Thanks

Hi All,

After 12500 km's its seem my transmission is starting to get clunky. I was in Montreal last week (crazy driving) and i had to "use" some of the HP over the hood and i found some clunking and hard shifting. In no way was i pinning the gas pedal either.

I'm not experience the rpm increase between 3rd and 4th or 2nd and 3rd like I've been reading in here, but i am concerned and find myself trying to baby my tranny now. I bought this car for its reliability and now it has me a little worried.

Anyone else having transmission issues other then the 2nd/3rd or 3rd/4th (which ever one it is)?

double check to make sure it's still under warranty.

Potential problems:

1. speed sensor intermittently going bad, but not giving up a check engine light

2. one of the selenoids is intermittently having problems and not giving up a check engine or trac light

3. lack of tranny fluid

4. wrong tranny fluid used

5. plugging up torque converter or filter

6. if none of these, most likely the overdrive band is wear out and going bad due to lack of maintenance and/or bad driving habits.

Hi All,

Potential problems:

1. speed sensor intermittently going bad, but not giving up a check engine light

2. one of the selenoids is intermittently having problems and not giving up a check engine or trac light

3. lack of tranny fluid

6. if none of these, most likely the overdrive band is wear out and going bad due to lack of maintenance and/or bad driving habits.

Or maybe I got a bad tranmission out of the box? I'm not hard on the car... I drive it...been driving my Honda's in this manner for 11 years with no issues....ever. Lexus dropped the ball on this issue and many respectfully are upset. This is a higher then normal priced car and most, Like I bought it for its reliability which not all and it sounds like many are not getting. Its not what i pictured from Lexus.

Or maybe I got a bad tranmission out of the box? I'm not hard on the car... I drive it...been driving my Honda's in this manner for 11 years with no issues....ever. Lexus dropped the ball on this issue and many respectfully are upset. This is a higher then normal priced car and most, Like I bought it for its reliability which not all and it sounds like many are not getting. Its not what i pictured from Lexus.

Have you had it looked at yet? homemechanic was just suggesting things that may cause what you describe as "seem" and "get clunky" for some hard shifting. Get it diagnosed so we know if you have a real problem.

Hi All,

Potential problems:

3. lack of tranny fluid

I see that there are a couple of transmission related TSIBs due to flare etc. How many cars are affected by this? is it all of them?

Are there any major hesitation issues to look out for with the ES350 - like with the 02-06 ES330's or is that issue taken care of?

I have been thinking about getting a pre-owned 04 or 05 ES330, but now after having test-driven a few cars, and reading the threads on this forum, I am beginning to think that I should spend more and get an 07 or 08 ES350. Have there been any UNIVERSAL issues, like the hesitation issues with the 330?

An aside off-topic question - do previous owners of ES300 or 330s find the seat comfort of the 350 to be as good or better than the older models?

thanks

Do the 2008 ES's have the same transmission problem as the 07's? Iwas planning on ordering an 08 ES350 for my wife tomorrow but after seeing some of these threads here, not sure if its a wise decision...

Where are the 08 ES's manufactured? I forgot to look at the drivers door sticker when we test drove the vehicle.

Thanks

I do not experience any issues with my transmission on my 08, but I cannot speak for all 08s. I have not seen any posts of people who own 08s in this site complaining about the issue, but I am not sure.