Replacement Seats For Rx400h?

jkatsoudas

Hi all,

I have a 2007 RX400h. I love everything about the car, except the front seats. My wife hates them even more. It's my daily driver, and the seats are OK for my 30 min commute, but whenever we take the car out of town my wife's back is sore for a week afterwards. She absolutely loves the seats in her MBZ E350, so I'm looking around to see if I can replace the seats with something better. Are there any options here? Has anyone replaced their seats in their RX with another mfgr's seats (like MBZ), or with aftermarket like Recaro? Are there other Lexus vehicles that have sportier "MBZ-like" seats that would be a simple drop-in into this car?

Thanks,

John

Before even doing a mod like you want, you may want a few things. The current seats have side airbags built into them, which means you lose that safety feature and you get a nice light on your dashboard. Your vehicle was crash tested with you current seat, so any modification would be risky if not dangerous.

Before even doing a mod like you want, you may want a few things. The current seats have side airbags built into them, which means you lose that safety feature and you get a nice light on your dashboard. Your vehicle was crash tested with you current seat, so any modification would be risky if not dangerous.

Valid points- thanks. Losing the airbags would not be something I'd be open to. Going with seats out of an IS, for example, would retain correct seat controls, airbags, and hopefully wiring, and potentially make integration a bit easier, but the airbags may still not be the correct shape/volume for the car. Doesn't sound like there are a lot of options out there. Perhaps having an upholstery shop replace the foam in the seat pans with firmer foam? These things are just to mushy and lacking in support, and the wife is likely to boycott the use of the RX on future road trips without a solution.

Hey Jkat, I think I would try to see if an upholstery shop could possibly retrofit the seats with firmer foam padding, or additional padding. Like you said, I think your options are somewhat limited. If you can deal with the unsightly support cushions that they sell for additional lumbar support, you could go that route. If its financially feasible for you, trade out for a GS 450h. I'm almost certain the GS will have more supportive seats. Keep us posted on what happens

I think its a situation of people used to german seats sitting in Japanese seats. They are different.

How long have you had the car? I'd give it a little time.

I've had it for a year now. I can definitely feel the difference between my seats and my wife's MBZ, but it doesn't bother me that much in my daily commute. She has some back problems, though, and sitting in the RX for long periods (out of town trips) leaves her sore for at least a week afterwards. No amount of time will correct that.

I have found a local upholstery shop that does restorations, insurance work on euro (MBZ. BMW) and Japanese cars and custom modifications (installation of custom heating/cooling systems, etc). They claim to have inventory of leather that matches all major brands, so I may contact them to see if it's possible (read- affordable) to refit the seats with some firmer foam, more pronounced lumbar support, and perhaps some additional bolstering.