Rotors And Brakes

tikatoy1995

Hi, it seems my 2000 rx300 needs brakes and to have the rotors cut, although i heard somewhere sometime ago that i shouldn't have the rotors cut and to just replace them. can anyone tell me if having them cut is okay and what type of brakes are the best to buy. thanks

Lenore,

I am coming up on 60k miles and it's about time to replace the pads.

I've been on the tire rack website and see that there are three different type of Akebono pads listed.

Which ones would you recommend, the Street Performance, Pro Act Ceramic or the Ultra Premium?

I am a fairly easy driver and are looking for quiet pads. I am not familiar with the brand.

thanks

Karl

Hey When I ordered there was only one, but the Pro Act Ceramics are the ones I believe I got. They are ultra quiet. Just remember to grease the slide pins on the caliper when putting the pads in. If you have any shimmy at all when braking, your rotors may be warped. You could either have them turned or buy the Brembo rotors and just put them on the car.

Hi, it seems my 2000 rx300 needs brakes and to have the rotors cut, although i heard somewhere sometime ago that i shouldn't have the rotors cut and to just replace them. can anyone tell me if having them cut is okay and what type of brakes are the best to buy. thanks

Do yourself a big favor and buy Toyota/Lexus OEM pads. No dust, excellent stopping power and last 70+k miles.

Hi, it seems my 2000 rx300 needs brakes and to have the rotors cut, although i heard somewhere sometime ago that i shouldn't have the rotors cut and to just replace them.

There are those who say turn the rotors after every brake pad change and there are those who say turn the rotors only when they have excessive wear, grooving, or minor warpage. I am in the second group. I only turn rotors when they get bad and need it. Fwiw, my Acura legend with 118000 is just now in need of getting the rotors turned for the first time.

• 2 weeks later...

Just info for everyone - I replaced my pads and rotors with EBC - and what a mistake to get the EBC green pads They squealed all the time - I just replaced them with OEM pads (of course I had to buy the shims as I through my old ones away as the EBCs would not work with them). The EBC rotors are great though and I highly recommend them - they are slotted and xdrilled and look great.

Just info for everyone - I replaced my pads and rotors with EBC - and what a mistake to get the EBC green pads They squealed all the time - I just replaced them with OEM pads (of course I had to buy the shims as I through my old ones away as the EBCs would not work with them). The EBC rotors are great though and I highly recommend them - they are slotted and xdrilled and look great.

Also don't forget new front OEM pads come without the wear indicator. You should have purchased this along with the shims.