Es300 P1354 Code. Check Engine + Trac Off

My Lexus is an ES300 1999 model with 81000 miles. The vehicle has had regular maintenance including the 90000 mile maintenance. The vehicle now shows the P1354 code and there is an oder of burning rubber or burning oil along with an increase in rpms in idle. The engine runs rough as well. The error code clears eventually and the engine runs smoothly for a few days then returns.

I read a post regarding something similar to this was caused by an Oil Control Valve. My mechanic says there is no such thing and wants to go deep inside the engine to replace a sensor in bank 2 which is near the firewall. The mechanic also mentioned in passing he had never been inside a Lexus engine. As soon as possible I plan to take the vehicle to a Lexus dealer but wanted an idea of how much financial trouble i am in.

Is this code the kiss of death or is there a fix short of replacing an engine or major overhaul? It is really hard to believe a Lexus with this low mileage could need a major overhaul since there are so many with mileage well over 100k. :(

It is a code for the VVT-I. Your bank 2 oil control valve most likely needs to be replaced. Either that, or the circuit is faulty, but provided the wiring is in good shape and the computer is good, the valve is bad. I would trust most shops to do the procedure, it is not a hard component to replace. Definately not deep into the engine.

If I were him, my next step would to verify the condition of the wiring (check resistance from the wire going right from the computer to the valve)

Also, that is a misfire code. Should be very noticable!

Thanks to all for the information on this issue.

The Lexus Dealer wanted to replace the timing belt which had already been replaced in the 90K maintenance. Also they wanted to replace other pars not related directly to the issue for a sum of over 2K. They said the cam seal was leaking but not sure how they could tell without opening the timing cover. Also after leaving the dealer the engine ran rougher than when I took it to them. My mechanic said he found a loose connector which fixed that particular problem.

The Lexus dealer charged $118 to diagnose my car but I got a "free" car wash. I rather enjoyed the Lexus experience but not sure I can afford it, lol.

I did take the car to my regular auto mechanic who knew about the OCV. He replaced the right valve then ran the car and got the check engine light again with another code. After changing the Left OCV the car has no engine codes so far and seems to run well The actual repair cost was $720 at the repair shop. But I spent an additional $118 for Lexus to diagnose the issue. Still less expensive than the 2k that the dealer wanted.

The section of maintenance manual that was sent was an outstanding help as it showed helped me to understand the issue and not get "snowed" with information. Also the information about the OCV being a common cause of this failure code seems to have been right on the money.

I have to say the Lexus Dealer sure had the comfort and luxury with flowers in the restroom, business area to conduct business on my laptiop and a phone to use along with "free" beverages. A very nice place to visit but I couldn't afford to go there often thats for sure. Now where did I leave that lotto ticket??

jd

It is a code for the VVT-I. Your bank 2 oil control valve most likely needs to be replaced. Either that, or the circuit is faulty, but provided the wiring is in good shape and the computer is good, the valve is bad. I would trust most shops to do the procedure, it is not a hard component to replace. Definately not deep into the engine.

If I were him, my next step would to verify the condition of the wiring (check resistance from the wire going right from the computer to the valve)

Also, that is a misfire code. Should be very noticable!

Tom

what causes the ocv fail with such low miles. is there any preventative maintenance to avoid this.