Egr Sensor Issues - Experienced Help Needed!

richflip

For all the veterans on the forum here, my apologies if it seems like I'm just asking without looking for the answer myself. I tried searching numerous times this afternoon and for some reason, the search parameters won't allow a term like "EGR" to be searched.

Had the check engine light on for some time. Finally took it to the stealership to get this diagnosed. They mentioned error code 70 (I think...please correct me if I'm wrong) and that my EGR sensors need replacing. BTW, does anybody have a code list they can email or post? Thnx.

So I ask the parts tech what this thing is for and get some ignorant rhetoric about "It helps your engine..." no lie. (How is this helpful service??!!) Read up on it online and found the EGR system recirculates exhaust gases back into the engine to improve fuel efficiency? (View at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exhaust_gas_recirculation). They charge damn near $500 for one sensor (I'm to the understanding that there are two?), just the part, not even installed.

My questions are:

1) Is this critical to proper engine function and will my car do something horribly wrong that will cost a lot of money if I don't fix it? (I've driven it for close to a year like this now, no problem. Scold me if I'm being a fool...)

2) I heard somewhere you can get aftermarket replacements that are far cheaper than the OEM unit. Is this wise? What's a reputable source?

3) When replacing the one, should I do both at the same time?

Thanks for your help!

just get rig of the EGR system all together. it will not hurt in fact better gas millage and HP, it it is only there for emissions. there are eliminator kist aviable for it. depending on what year model u drive will determine if u will be able to pass emissions.

go to Clublexus.com and do the search or ask your question there there are not many people on the lexus owners site. club lexus is much more active.

sc300newbe,

Thanks for the advice. So by removing the system altogether this will actually IMPROVE gas mileage?? I thought it was there to improve it to begin with.

BTW, I drive a 1992 and I could care less about emissions. I think Kyoto is a piece of garbage. And to that note, I recycle anyways and walk when I can so any tree-huggers out there can take a hike.

Just curious, how much do these kits typically cost?

just get rig of the EGR system all together. it will not hurt in fact better gas millage and HP, it it is only there for emissions. there are eliminator kist aviable for it. depending on what year model u drive will determine if u will be able to pass emissions.

go to Clublexus.com and do the search or ask your question there there are not many people on the lexus owners site. club lexus is much more active.