2005 Rx330 Cds Stuck, Error 4

julzrx

2005 RX 330. I have the standard 6 CD changer, no navigation system. My CDs are stuck and I have "error 4" on the display. The CD player will not eject, not play, advance, nothing. My warranty expired 8k miles ago. I called the dealer and they said to bring it in. If it is broken, it will cost $650 to replace plus $150 labor...so a whopping $800 to fix/replace it! OMG! Thinking I could just get a cheap iPOD adapter, I went to Circuit City and was told that they do not have a compatible adapter YET for the 330s. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY ADVICE? :cries:

2005 RX 330. I have the standard 6 CD changer, no navigation system. My CDs are stuck and I have "error 4" on the display. The CD player will not eject, not play, advance, nothing. My warranty expired 8k miles ago. I called the dealer and they said to bring it in. If it is broken, it will cost $650 to replace plus $150 labor...so a whopping $800 to fix/replace it! OMG! Thinking I could just get a cheap iPOD adapter, I went to Circuit City and was told that they do not have a compatible adapter YET for the 330s. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY ADVICE?:cries:

That's happened to me a few times this week. So far every time I turn the car off and re start it everything works. No idea why its happening though.

2005 RX 330. I have the standard 6 CD changer, no navigation system. My CDs are stuck and I have "error 4" on the display. The CD player will not eject, not play, advance, nothing. My warranty expired 8k miles ago. I called the dealer and they said to bring it in. If it is broken, it will cost $650 to replace plus $150 labor...so a whopping $800 to fix/replace it! OMG! Thinking I could just get a cheap iPOD adapter, I went to Circuit City and was told that they do not have a compatible adapter YET for the 330s. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY ADVICE?:cries:

Least expensive interim solution would be to try an FM transmitter iPod adaptor, though interference can be a problem. Some are much better than others. Longer term, call Crutchfield and see what might be available/coming.

Followup

Reading through many old posts for info on assorted topics found this:

"I recently modded my IS300 for an Aux input so I could hook up my iPod.

I was looking into doing the same to our 99 RX300 so I figured I'd give the IS mod a shot since no other relatively easy and cheap way existed.

The full IS mod is posted on my.is:

http://my.is/forums/showthread.php?t=27788...age=1&pp=30

What I did for the RX is here:

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215793

If you want to give this a shot, read through both threads.

In my install in the RX, I spliced into the changer wires. I put a switch to switch back and forth from the iPod to the CD. To listen to the iPod, you put the radio in CD mode and control the iPod as normal. You only flick the switch if you want to listen to your CD. To save wear on the CD motor, just feed the changer an empty magazine and the radio will stay in CD mode and simply display ERR2 (empty magazine)

We did a second install last night but spliced into the HU wires. This allowed us to completely remove the changer. To listen to the iPod, you flick the switch in any mode and control the iPod as normal.

The sound is excellent and including the Belkin Auto Kit (which added the benefit of pausing the iPod when you turn off the car) cost a total of about $45.

If you have any questions, you can catch me here or on ClubLexus."

I had a similar issue with my 04 Rx330. I was getting an error 3, and when I would try ejecting nothing would happen. I disconnected the battery and nothing. What I ended up doing was removing the deck myself, because lexus wanted 125 for removing and installing the deck back. And when i disconnected it, I decided to look at it, after taking off the top plate i could see all the cd's there and nothing seemed jammed.

I was ready to take the deck in to the dealer, but I have the nav screen and the heater would not work, so after having the unit unplugged for 2 hours, when i plugged it back in it started working. The unit may have reset, I did try to put it in ship mode as well not sure if that helped. But you can try that as well.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Can anyone confirm if the radio/cd player is removed the nav screen and hvac controls will not work?

Does anyone have any advice on removing the shiftgate wood trim piece?

I saw the recommendation for www.advancemech.com/lexus.html, anyone use a facility in the tristate area?

• 2 weeks later...
I had a similar issue with my 04 Rx330. I was getting an error 3, and when I would try ejecting nothing would happen. I disconnected the battery and nothing. What I ended up doing was removing the deck myself, because lexus wanted 125 for removing and installing the deck back. And when i disconnected it, I decided to look at it, after taking off the top plate i could see all the cd's there and nothing seemed jammed.

I was ready to take the deck in to the dealer, but I have the nav screen and the heater would not work, so after having the unit unplugged for 2 hours, when i plugged it back in it started working. The unit may have reset, I did try to put it in ship mode as well not sure if that helped. But you can try that as well.

I reported twice to my dealer that I had this problem and they told me they could not do anything unless I could duplicate the CD jam (error 4). Last week it happened as I was driving through town and I pulled up to the Lexus service station bay and oh ya they could see the problem. Mileage was 55K - 5K past warranty and it would cost me $700 to repair. Not mechanical and certainly not happy. Do not use an Ipod

Cheapest (temporary) solution is an analog adaptor that goes into tape deck ($15-$20). I found it had better sound than the Monster fm adaptor I returned.

I reported twice to my dealer that I had this problem and they told me they could not do anything unless I could duplicate the CD jam (error 4). Last week it happened as I was driving through town and I pulled up to the Lexus service station bay and oh ya they could see the problem. Mileage was 55K - 5K past warranty and it would cost me $700 to repair. Not mechanical and certainly not happy. Do not use an Ipod

Hey LMA...

5,000 miles over and you complained previously? You should go back to the dealer and complain. Go straight to the service manager. Tell him these Lexus radios aren't supposed to do that. You paid for a Lexus and you want a Lexus radio to function like a Lexus radio and not malfunction regardless of mileage. If the manager doesn't want to work with you, then call Lexus corporate and put up a big stink. I'm sure they don't want unhappy Lexus owners either.

If you noticed on the forum, error 4 isn't uncommon in these radios. So it's not cool that there is a mileage warranty on these. I'm sick of the dealership sticking it to the customer.

• 1 month later...

My RX 330 does the same thing. Here is what has helped. Only use one cd at a time instead of all 6. Also, if you are parked on an incline or the car is not on a flat surface when you turn it on, the CD's will eject. Sometimes if there are 2 cds in and the radio has been playing for a while, you can load one in or change between the two. At times, it will not work for weeks and sometimes it works perfect. It is really hit or miss.

• 8 months later...

I have exactly the same problem but what did you do to take care of your problem? I noticed a problem when we were on our trip to California my wife said it started to happen about 6 months ago but the problem went away and then it came back again. So I took my car to a dealer in California but they said they had to order a new cd player and it would cost me $950, I didn't know if labor included or not and it would take one week to arrive.

The bad thing is my warranty 4y/50000miles, and my car is 4y3m eventhough is only 36000miles, it won't qualify for the warranty.

I have exactly the same problem but what did you do to take care of your problem? I noticed a problem when we were on our trip to California my wife said it started to happen about 6 months ago but the problem went away and then it came back again. So I took my car to a dealer in California but they said they had to order a new cd player and it would cost me $950, I didn't know if labor included or not and it would take one week to arrive.

The bad thing is my warranty 4y/50000miles, and my car is 4y3m eventhough is only 36000miles, it won't qualify for the warranty.

I too have the exact same ERROR 4 problem on my 2004. I am entertaining a previous post's idea about removing the car's battery for two hours and see if it resets. I am thinking that we are not the only few people who experience this poor Lexus SUV quality. Beside this, I my car experiences little problems here and there which is not expected in a LEXUS!! My brother has a 2002 RX300 and a 2004 ES300 and he experience numerous quality related problems on his car. Never buy a LEXUS again.

Before I spent that kind of money on a radio, I would talk to Toby Rivers. He is one of the Authorized Vendors on the LOC Forums here.

He is a Lexus/Toyota dealer and sells discounted zero-deductible Platinum warranties from the manufacturer. The feedback I have seen from his customers pretty much says he is The Man. You could put that money into a 100k warranty that will cover all your needs for the forseeable future.

Just a thought...

• 4 months later...

Mine had an error 3 I think so called the dealership and they actually told me that we didn't want to come to them because it would be too expensive. So they referred me to a stereo shop where I got a free estimate for $389. Ouch!!! So, I got onto eBay Motors and found a replacement with a 90day warranty for $59 +$15 shipping!!! Score! I got it at All Foreign Auto Parts. They had more. It worked flawlessly and took me 20min to replace.

• 3 months later...

Can someone point me to what the TSB entails, I can't find it after searching.

Thanks

Ray

• 3 years later...

I discovered a company on EBAY that repairs these for less than $200. It turned out to be in Richardson, a suburb of Dallas, and I took it in this morning and had it back REPAIRED this afternoon.

Installed it when I got home and loaded up 6 cd's with no errors!

They offer a 90 day warranty and had a 100% rating on EBAY. I will continue updates on the performance of this repair.

• 2 weeks later...

I had this reoccuring problem during warranty coverage & afterward. I probably used the cd player 20 times before it would jam. I went to a local stereo shop & had a Pioneer unit installed. They carry all the adapter plugs. The only item I had to supply was a ( double din) face plate to mount the stereo. No one seems to sell one but I found one on Ebay from China for $50. I have had no trouble with the aftermarket system for the last five years.

• 5 months later...

I discovered a company on EBAY that repairs these for less than $200. It turned out to be in Richardson, a suburb of Dallas, and I took it in this morning and had it back REPAIRED this afternoon.

Installed it when I got home and loaded up 6 cd's with no errors!

They offer a 90 day warranty and had a 100% rating on EBAY. I will continue updates on the performance of this repair.

What was the name and phone number of the company?

how do you put the RX radio into Ship Mode?

• 3 months later...

There is an easy fix to the error 4.

http://www.wikihow.com/Remove-a-Stuck-CD-from-a-Car-CD-Player?fb_action_ids=10151851927196473&fb_action_types=og.likes&fb_source=other_multiline&action_object_map={%2210151851927196473%22%3A439067082600}&action_type_map={%2210151851927196473%22%3A%22og.likes%22}&action_ref_map=[]

I tried a card similar to a credit card and used a tape inside out. After inserting to the player, i lowered it using a micro screwdriver. The CD's did not come with the cars as explained in the link but it activated the CD loading mechanism. I switched on the player and i was able to eject all the 6 cd's out of the player and player is back to normal with no errors.

The cd's were stuck in the player for nearly 6 months with no damage. I have tried everything from removing the batteries and removing the fuses but it did nothing. Now, I can still play all those stuck cd's in the same player.

It does not like it is the problem with the CD's but it appears to be an issue with the loading mechanism.

I am not going to load 6 cd's at the same time anymore.

Let me know if this helped anyone!

• 4 months later...

Thanks for posting this as I have been looking for a solution to the stuck CD problem for the last week. Could you clarify what you mean by lowering it with a micro screwdriver? I was able to insert the credit card with the tape affixed but I'm not feeling the CD under it and the tape isn't sticking to anything. Nothing I have tried is working, the CD slot is so narrow that I can't see if anything is happening. The micro screwdriver can fit in to hold the door open but I'm not having any luck. I just want to get

the CDs ejected. I'm not hearing any activity like a motor or movement when it tries to eject, it just switches to the radio.