Crash Test Dummy

mwrussell

This past Monday as I was waiting to make a left hand turn into my addition I was rear ended by a young lady traveling at about 40-45mph. The police officers on the scene doubt that she even hit the brakes as she punted my LS 400 down the road about 20 yards. I have attached a few pictures which don't really reflect how hard the car was hit, which is my point. These cars are tanks. I'm sure most of you knew this but now here is proof. The other driver was in a late model Mit. Eclipse which has a low front end. The front end of the Eclipse was all but gone, crammed completely to the firewall. Unfortunately for me my car is totaled but I am alive save for some neck pain.

Car2.jpg

PictureorVideo094.jpg

Let me be the first to say I'm glad you're ok. I had a wreck just like that...waiting to turn left....except it was back in 1998. Got hit by a Sunbird that totalled. Girl that hit me (actually someone I knew!) brakes failed and darn near flew threw the windshield. I also had some neck pain. It went away in a week or so. If it doesn't please go see a doctor.

Again....glad you're alright. My dad always said 'the car can be replaced'.

I used to own a repair shop working on Volvo's as a speciality, and owned almost thirty of them myself before switching (for the rest of my life) to Lexus. Over the years I had many customers involved in accidents, and in every case the cars saved them. When some complained of their favourite cars being written off I always told them that the car did it's job as intended - it gave it's life for the driver. They'd stop complaining and go buy another.

I know you aren't complaining of course. That LS did save you from injury, and that's what the designers intended.

I too am glad that you are OK. Enjoy finding another great LS, and look after that neck pain.

I used to own a repair shop working on Volvo's as a speciality, and owned almost thirty of them myself before switching (for the rest of my life) to Lexus. Over the years I had many customers involved in accidents, and in every case the cars saved them. When some complained of their favourite cars being written off I always told that the car did it's job as intended - it gave it's life for the driver. They'd stop complaining and go buy another.

I know you aren't complaining of course. That LS did save you from injury, and that's what the designers intended.

I too am glad that you are OK. Enjoy finding another great LS, and look after that neck pain.

I am pleased that you were not seriously hurt and very happy that you shared this story with the forum. This will give me a certain assurance since a number of publications I look at did not have crash testing for 1991 LS's. Crashworthiness is an area which Mercedes has celebrated for a long time, and it is good to know that this was not neglected by TMC as they became one of the premier players in the luxury auto market.

Yikes....I'm glad you are ok....sorry about the car though. :( SRK is right though; the car did it's job, you are still here.

A couple of months ago I drove past a crash here in LA involving the same year LS. The LS crashed into another car that crossed into the intersection as the LS was turning left. The driver of the LS was walking around the car and seemed fine, the damage didn't look too bad but based on the age of the car it was probably totaled. The other car however was a WRECK. I hope the driver of that car was ok.

The original LS400 had the lowest injury claims of any luxury car in 1991-1992 according to the U.S. Highway Loss Data Institute (the previous recipient of that honor was the Mercedes S-Class). Toyota crashed 100 prototypes when designing the first LS to perfect its crash performance; so I think it's safe to say the LS is a very safe car.

It FEELS like a tank...glad to know it crashes like one too.

I used to own a repair shop working on Volvo's as a speciality, and owned almost thirty of them myself before switching (for the rest of my life) to Lexus. Over the years I had many customers involved in accidents, and in every case the cars saved them. When some complained of their favourite cars being written off I always told that the car did it's job as intended - it gave it's life for the driver. They'd stop complaining and go buy another.

I am pleased that you were not seriously hurt and very happy that you shared this story with the forum. This will give me a certain assurance since a number of publications I look at did not have crash testing for 1991 LS's. Crashworthiness is an area which Mercedes has celebrated for a long time, and it is good to know that this was not neglected by TMC as they became one of the premier players in the luxury auto market.

Thanks for posting the pics MW, it is always good to see real world test data. I have looked up LS400 crash testing on www.youtube.com and was impressed with the footage.

My commiserations on the loss of your car. Hope you are feeling better soon, good luck searching for a replacement!

Some great points SRK!