2001 Ls 430 Door Speakers

wickedgt

Hello Just received instructions from Florida dealer on door panel removal. Locate 4 torx screws at bottom of panel and remove. Locate and remove torx screw inside air distribution duct for door vents. It's the vent with the black rubber seal visible when door is open. You will also need to remove the window switches and manual door release. These usually are easy to remove with some kind of plastic wedge or thin screwdriver. Inside of each you will find two more torx screws. Then the whole panel will lift off the door frame. The 4 torx screws at the bottom of the door panel are kinda hidden, you have to look for them. As for the speaker their mostly easy to remove. Hope this helps.

why do you want to replace the speakers?

this is pretty proprietary stuff, if you do , make sure you check for the impedance, depth and the radius of the speaker before you buy any.

• 4 months later...

i always wanted to see the speaker quality in my lex but it took a while find enough info and build up the nerve to do it. as suspected, even though it's a ML system, the speaker is still paper and will likely deteriorate in a few more years.

here are some pics to go with the description above to get the panel off and also some of the speaker connections. sorry, labeling the pics was just a bit too much today. anyway, hope someone finds this useful. my ls430 is a 2004 but the process is the same.

-there are 4 x 10mm hex screws, 3 at the bottom hidden under the weather stripping and 1 in the air duct hole by the side mirror.

-there are 3 x bolts, 2 in the arm rest area (1 under the bottom and 1 inside the window switch cavity) and 1 hidden by the cover of the door handle cover plate (use a flathead screwdriver to carefully pop the plate out). the window switch can be removed using a flathead srewdriver to pry it up, there's a snap that holds it in place at the part closest to opening where you put you hand to close the door.

once you remove all of the screws, the panel is held in place by 4 green snap fasteners, 2 on the left side, 2 on the right side. once you pull those out and lift up, you've have the 98% solution to getting the panel off. connections for the door lights, the window switch / door lock, and memory seats are easy enough to get off. the door handle assembly is tougher and without any additional tips or prior experience i didn't risk taking it off.

-there are 3 x 10mm hex screws for the speaker housing. there is foam around the speaker perimeter that hides the screws that hold the speaker in the housing.

not sure if replacement speakers from places like crutchfield come with the housing or not. if they don't, then you'll have to do some soldering when you replace the speaker.

be cool,

post-38247-1207506114_thumb.jpg

post-38247-1207506152_thumb.jpg

post-38247-1207506167_thumb.jpg

post-38247-1207506194_thumb.jpg

post-38247-1207506212_thumb.jpg

post-38247-1207506223_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I am trying to replace the front door speakers in my 2001 LS430, because they are buzzing badly. I took the driver's door panel off and found the foam surround to be completely separated from the frame (still attached to the paper cone). I compared them to some 6.5" drivers that I have and the mounting holes are spaced a little wider. The driver is also very shallow (<2.5") and has a wimpy magnet. The replacement driver will have to have four tabs for mounting (i.e., NOT a just a round frame but four ears coming off of a round frame) to be able to use the factory mounting enclosure. The mounting holes diagonally across the speaker are 6 3/8" center-to-center. Iasked the seller of some new Infinity 6020CS for the dimensions of the mounting holes. They extend like I want. The 6020CS speakers have a mounting depth of just over 2".

I already had the subwoofer replaced by a non-dealer Lexus shop. It was also buzzing and the foam was also rotten. It's hard to believe that a modern, "high-end" speaker system has paper cones and foam surrounds. The magnets are very small and the mounting depth is less than 2.5". I may be able to get away with a little deeper speaker but too deep and there goes the window.

Does anyone know if the rear door drivers are the same? If I find a suitable driver, I'd like to upgrade them too. I suspect they aren't too far behind.

i would go to a wrecking yard and just get a good used speaker from a 2006 ls430 speaker, ml system is the best of the best

good luck to anybody on finding a 2006 lex in a salvage yard. might be different in other places, but here in central florida (home of the chop shop) i couldn't find a local junk yard that had a 2004 lex for me to scavenge through for cheap parts. i suspect finding a 2006 would be even harder. seems like the auto auctions are getting all the good, high-end vehicles instead of the junk yards.

thought i would catch a deal on getting a replacement window switch, but in the end had to go to ebay. the dealers were asking over $300!

as always, be cool

• 1 month later...

My passenger's side door speaker started buzzing today (and I leave for Florida in the morning). I wasnt about to drive to Fla with a buzzing speaker, but with no time to shop for a replacement, I just removed, siliconed the surround, and reinstalled the speaker. Sounds normal again and buys me time to shop for a better set. (they are 8 ohm speakers btw)

thanks for the door panel removal pics

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

does anyone know where i can get replacement mark levinson speakers for the front doors? other than the dealership..im not trying to spend a lot even though i know ML's have a very good sound...my speakers are ripped i think because when the front door speakers hit a bass note it sounds as if the speakers are ripped and was wondering if there is anyone who did a full on audio upgrade and is trying to get rid of their speakers....thanks for the help and im also new to the lexusownersclub....

i have a 2003 white LS430 with navi...mark levinson sound...headed and cooled front seats and headed rear seats....very nice car.. i had a 99 LS400 but that was totalled in a wreck this summer and im very glad i was in a lexus when the wreck happened because in any other car..i probably wont be able to be sitting here and writting this post...thanks for your help guys..

• 4 months later...
I am trying to replace the front door speakers in my 2001 LS430, because they are buzzing badly. I took the driver's door panel off and found the foam surround to be completely separated from the frame (still attached to the paper cone). I compared them to some 6.5" drivers that I have and the mounting holes are spaced a little wider. The driver is also very shallow (<2.5") and has a wimpy magnet. The replacement driver will have to have four tabs for mounting (i.e., NOT a just a round frame but four ears coming off of a round frame) to be able to use the factory mounting enclosure. The mounting holes diagonally across the speaker are 6 3/8" center-to-center. Iasked the seller of some new Infinity 6020CS for the dimensions of the mounting holes. They extend like I want. The 6020CS speakers have a mounting depth of just over 2".

I already had the subwoofer replaced by a non-dealer Lexus shop. It was also buzzing and the foam was also rotten. It's hard to believe that a modern, "high-end" speaker system has paper cones and foam surrounds. The magnets are very small and the mounting depth is less than 2.5". I may be able to get away with a little deeper speaker but too deep and there goes the window.

Does anyone know if the rear door drivers are the same? If I find a suitable driver, I'd like to upgrade them too. I suspect they aren't too far behind.

Did you ever find replacements? I just bought a 01 430 and may be checking it out as well. Something is definately tore on the sub or something else.

• 1 year later...

My passenger's side door speaker started buzzing today (and I leave for Florida in the morning). I wasnt about to drive to Fla with a buzzing speaker, but with no time to shop for a replacement, I just removed, siliconed the surround, and reinstalled the speaker. Sounds normal again and buys me time to shop for a better set. (they are 8 ohm speakers btw)

thanks for the door panel removal pics

Thank you Thank you for this post. I was able to take my door panels off with ease and I siliconed both my front (L&R) door speakers with a silicone glue used to seal aquariums ($3.98). I was able to do this without removing the speakers.

Question is, how long will this last. It glue is very flexible and waterproof. The surrounds on both speakers was still in tact, only the glue used to attach the surround to the speaker frame had come loose. (cheap glue)

you can download a ls manual for a nominal cost, driver door ..i just replaced the door lock and there are 4 screws under the bottom weatherstrip,one in air duct,one under armrest,one behind door opener...pop this out with a small hook,one screw under window opening switches,pry out with small hook at aft end of this panel pull up with tool,when you get this one out dont forget the screw under this panel,you can disconnect this plug if needed,good luck!,ps i have the same speaker question as you do,let me know if you find a good one,brian

• 2 months later...

i always wanted to see the speaker quality in my lex but it took a while find enough info and build up the nerve to do it. as suspected, even though it's a ML system, the speaker is still paper and will likely deteriorate in a few more years.

here are some pics to go with the description above to get the panel off and also some of the speaker connections. sorry, labeling the pics was just a bit too much today. anyway, hope someone finds this useful. my ls430 is a 2004 but the process is the same.

-there are 4 x 10mm hex screws, 3 at the bottom hidden under the weather stripping and 1 in the air duct hole by the side mirror.

-there are 3 x bolts, 2 in the arm rest area (1 under the bottom and 1 inside the window switch cavity) and 1 hidden by the cover of the door handle cover plate (use a flathead screwdriver to carefully pop the plate out). the window switch can be removed using a flathead srewdriver to pry it up, there's a snap that holds it in place at the part closest to opening where you put you hand to close the door.

once you remove all of the screws, the panel is held in place by 4 green snap fasteners, 2 on the left side, 2 on the right side. once you pull those out and lift up, you've have the 98% solution to getting the panel off. connections for the door lights, the window switch / door lock, and memory seats are easy enough to get off. the door handle assembly is tougher and without any additional tips or prior experience i didn't risk taking it off.

-there are 3 x 10mm hex screws for the speaker housing. there is foam around the speaker perimeter that hides the screws that hold the speaker in the housing.

not sure if replacement speakers from places like crutchfield come with the housing or not. if they don't, then you'll have to do some soldering when you replace the speaker.

be cool,

Ack! Not good news to find out the ML speakers have foam surrounds (between the cone and the frame). Foam surrounds typically decay and fall apart after 10 to 20 years on home speakers and so probably last less than that in the harsher car environment.

The size of the speaker is not the only parameter needed to find replacements. Other factors include efficiency, impedance and frequency response. The entire system of speakers, amplifiers and cross-over (filter networks) were carefully designed to work together in these cars.

If the replacement speakers or more or less efficient than the originals, they will be more loud or less loud relative to the other speakers (woofers and tweeters) throwing off the balance overall.

If the impedance is not correct, the speakers might consume too much power from the amplifiers and also may not work correctly with the cross-over network that filters the correct frequencies to the speaker.

Finally, the speakers might not have the correct frequency response and so not sound right.

The ML System is a very good car sound system and so needs to be correctly repaired.

I would suggest, therefore getting exact replacements, if possible, from the dealer or Harmon International.

Also, please note that speakers with deteriorated foam can be repaired back to their original operation. Refoaming is quite common and not too expensive for older home speakers and might be available for these as well.

Since I have a 2003 LS with ML sound, I guess I need to start researching this to find out how these speakers can be repaired.

Questions to be answered (I don't know these answers):

1. Can these speakers be refoamed? Does Harmon make refoam kits? Aftermarket kits?

2. Who can do the repair? (I know of shops in the SF Bay Area that do this for home speakers, but not sure about these.)

3. Can a car audio shop remove and refoam the speakers?

My guess is having a dealer replace the speakers will be expensive so I hope to find more about repair.

BTW, mine are fine so far.

I take care of all the scheduled maintenance on my wifes 2004 LS-430 and was dismayed at how horrible the stereo sounded when I was test driving it. I found that the rear sub and the drivers side door speaker were the culprit, both had been blown. Using this post section I was able to remove both speakers and run a bead of hot glue around the edge of the speaker and the foam. Both had the foam come loose or was torn from the frame of the speaker housing. It was easy to do and the system sounds like new again. I agree with Terry Smiths comments below from 4/10. The ML system was designed for the car, changes to the speakers without having all the information will degrade the system. Gluing the speakers as I did most likely changed the speaker charecteristics as well, but I can't tell the difference. I would like to thank DCIK for indicating where all the screws were and the photos he provided.