The Great Oil Change Discussion

I brought the car in for the 30K service, they want $750. I went to my local mechanic, not jiffylube, a real garage. Handed him the Lexus checklist for 30K. Paid $250. You can save a lot of money without sacrificing your baby on the quiklube lift.

Also remember that all dealers pricing is not created equal. I did not pay nearly $750 for the 30k service, I paid about $500, and about $600 for the 60k. Here in DC, prices vary a lot depending on the dealership, as does service quality.

yeah, nothing is cheap in the Boston area. I think the real price they quoted me was $785. I asked the clueless service desk woman what that included. I think she mumbled a few things including "alot". Still $500 is a lot more than $250, and the work was done by a mechanic. if I had to guess the airfilter is aftermarket. the dealership does has free coffee and danishes, but....I am happy to save the $500.

I guess it is 50/50 here about this issue.

50/50 here, most owners of luxury cars just use the dealership out of ease while the car is still new.

I am still debating if to continue my services for my car with the dealer especially after they told me it would be $50 more if they put synthetic oil.

Bring your own, seriously. Mine has been changed with synthetic since 5k miles, I always bring my own Mobil 1. They won't care.

If you are bringing your own oil and filter, why not just do the oil change? It would probably be shorter than the time spent going to the dealer and back. Why do you use Mobil One? Is there a HP/mileage gain?

If you are bringing your own oil and filter, why not just do the oil change? It would probably be shorter than the time spent going to the dealer and back. Why do you use Mobil One? Is there a HP/mileage gain?

I bring my own oil, not my own filter. I pick it up the week I'm dropping the car off while I'm at the grocery store, costs me no more time than just letting the dealer use their oil. The dealer has a crazy markup on synthetic oil, mine wants $20 a quart. Costs me $5.

As for since I have it why don't I just do it, that makes no sense. Thats like saying since you already have the wood, why not just build the house? I don't have the time or the desire to crawl around outside my townhouse and drain oil and refill it, get all dirty than schlep the oil around looking for someplace to dispose of it. My time is best spent doing more enjoyable or profitable things.

I use Mobil 1 because I prefer synthetic oil, its well regarded and easy to obtain. Why do you want to use synthetic oil? :geek:

I bring my own oil, not my own filter. I pick it up the week I'm dropping the car off while I'm at the grocery store, costs me no more time than just letting the dealer use their oil. The dealer has a crazy markup on synthetic oil, mine wants $20 a quart. Costs me $5.

As for since I have it why don't I just do it, that makes no sense. Thats like saying since you already have the wood, why not just build the house? I don't have the time or the desire to crawl around outside my townhouse and drain oil and refill it, get all dirty than schlep the oil around looking for someplace to dispose of it. My time is best spent doing more enjoyable or profitable things.

I use Mobil 1 because I prefer synthetic oil, its well regarded and easy to obtain. Why do you want to use synthetic oil? :geek:

If the dealer uses your oil and does not charge you for oil, that makes sense. I also share your aversion to crawling under the car and doing my own oil change. It is a pain in the !Removed! and you will get oil somewhere it i will not be.

However, it is more efficient from an economic standpoint to change your oil than go to the dealer and do it. Unless your dealer is close, fast and the do-it-yourselfer is extremely slow. Or if you can work while they are changing your oil.

I dont use synthetic, have not seen a reason too. Changing the oil every 5000 should keep the car running perfectly until I sell it or it dies of natural causes.

If the dealer uses your oil and does not charge you for oil, that makes sense. I also share your aversion to crawling under the car and doing my own oil change. It is a pain in the !Removed! and you will get oil somewhere it i will not be.

Yep, they use mine and don't charge me for oil.

However, it is more efficient from an economic standpoint to change your oil than go to the dealer and do it. Unless your dealer is close, fast and the do-it-yourselfer is extremely slow. Or if you can work while they are changing your oil.

My dealer is very close, and it takes me a total of 15 minutes. I drive in, drive out with a loaner and go on with my workday while they work.

Its much more productive to me to work instead of waiting around, and the only thing I enjoy doing to the car in my free time is detailing it.

I dont use synthetic, have not seen a reason too. Changing the oil every 5000 should keep the car running perfectly until I sell it or it dies of natural causes.

Probably so.

I guess it is 50/50 here about this issue.

One thing my dealership offers and I did not know until after I bought the car is that you can prepay for service about $400 for 4 years of oil change or 50k not including the BIG service at 30k.

Thats a good deal.

So next time if you buy a new Lexus ask your dealer if they have this program.

I did it to my girl's new car. we paid $400 for 4 years.

I am still debating if to continue my services for my car with the dealer especially after they told me it would be $50 more if they put synthetic oil.

Thanks for all the different advises.

Which deaker in LA area offers this?

Inquiring minds want to know!! .. PLEASE?!

I don't understand how a Lexus dealer would do it for 56 dollars.

I wish I would have the dealer doing it for a 100 dollars.

I decided to continue doing my services at the dealers and take the loaner car include.

I am also going to write it off like the guys mentioned earlier and pay with my cooperate account.

I don't understand how a Lexus dealer would do it for 56 dollars.

I wish I would have the dealer doing it for a 100 dollars.

I decided to continue doing my services at the dealers and take the loaner car include.

I am also going to write it off like the guys mentioned earlier and pay with my cooperate account.

Okay. So once I get my car back from being fixed after the valet messed it up, I had to take it in for its service. So I just got my car back for an oil change, at 25,000 miles. The checklist says they're supposed to rotate tires, and I know it didn't happen. The one tire that I had fixed with the scuff is still on the front driver's side. They charged me $159 for the oil change, basically. Also, I had the VSC light on, and a check engine light on. Which, of course, both of them went off instantly as soon as the service tech got in the car....go figure!

And get this: I was called last night, saying the reason why the VSC was on, was because I had a nail in the sidewall of my back tire, and it couldn't be repaired, needed to be replaced, and it would cost me $369 for it. I said, no, thanks, I'll take care of it myself. I drove it to an independent tire shop near where I live, after picking it up, and after 45 mins., was charged $12.65 for repairing the tire.......

Come on, what is the stealership doing?????? I'm about ready to go to Grease Monkey and have them do my oil changes now......although, the loaner car is a nice service........so just wanted to share my experience with ya'll........

You can't rotate tires on a RWD IS250 because the rear tires are wider than the fronts.

Yes, the price is way too high for basically an oil change. That's why I always go to Bill's Express Lube and pay $28 for top brand oil and I supply the filter. You should be able to find a reliable place to do oil changes and they usually do it while you wait, so no loaner needed.

Not sure about repairing tire sidewalls as that was a "no no" back in the day. With as much highway driving as you do, you might want to double check that. At any rate a replacement tire would be in the $200-250 range, so Lexus is way high on that too.

Tire repair info:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/tec...e.jsp?techid=77

You can't rotate tires on a RWD IS250 because the rear tires are wider than the fronts.

Yes, the price is way too high for basically an oil change. That's why I always go to Bill's Express Lube and pay $28 for top brand oil and I supply the filter. You should be able to find a reliable place to do oil changes and they usually do it while you wait, so no loaner needed.

Not sure about repairing tire sidewalls as that was a "no no" back in the day. With as much highway driving as you do, you might want to double check that. At any rate a replacement tire would be in the $200-250 range, so Lexus is way high on that too.

Tire repair info:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/tec...e.jsp?techid=77

Thanks again, as always, for the info! My hubby had told me that he didn't think you could rotate the tires on my car for that very reason....

I have used up my first free service at the dealer, Now that I am reaching 10K miles. I call up one dealer and they tell me i need to replace a cabin filter and want to charge 99 oil change plus 60 for filter (almost 200 with taxes). I call up another and its 125 plus tax and they tell me a tire rotation. I don't believe I can get a tire rotation. Do dealers actually know what's even written in the handbook. Also, I do not want to pay any of those prices for a filter and oil change.

so, this is my question... Where is the best place to get a quality oil change that I can be happy with?

Jiffy Lube? (scandals)

Toyota Dealer ( do they work on lexus cars?, i read this in some forum before )

Just a local Lube place?

Please help.

I have used up my first free service at the dealer, Now that I am reaching 10K miles. I call up one dealer and they tell me i need to replace a cabin filter and want to charge 99 oil change plus 60 for filter (almost 200 with taxes). I call up another and its 125 plus tax and they tell me a tire rotation. I don't believe I can get a tire rotation. Do dealers actually know what's even written in the handbook. Also, I do not want to pay any of those prices for a filter and oil change.

so, this is my question... Where is the best place to get a quality oil change that I can be happy with?

Jiffy Lube? (scandals)

Toyota Dealer ( do they work on lexus cars?, i read this in some forum before )

Just a local Lube place?

Please help.

For starters:

1) Don't tell a dealer "I want the 10k mile service", because in dealer speak, that means "rape me hard for whatever you think you can get away with charging me". Tell them, "I want the oil changed." End of story. If they do anything else without your permission, you're not required to pay them for it by law.

2) The place that quoted you $60 for an oil filter deserves a call to the better business bureau. The filter costs $12 tops. You can get them online from a variety of places, including the parts desk at any dealer, where I can guarantee you they won't cost $60.

3) Please stay away from Jiffy Lube.

4) Did I mention please stay away from Jiffy Lube?

5) I change my own oil. It costs me $60 total, and that includes filter and 7 quarts of synthetic oil. Paying any more than that at a dealer for a non-synthetic oil change is insane. Seven quarts of over the counter dino oil costs about $10, plus $12 for the filter, you're looking at $25 in parts and 30 minutes of time. At the current auto labor rate, that means you really shouldn't be paying more than$75-$100 total (which I still think is a huge ripoff, but if you don't have the time/knowledge/skill/whatever to do it yourself, then what choice do you have).

12 Months or 10,000 Miles

Replace engine oil and oil filter

Measure thickness of front brake pads and rotors (GS 430, IS)

Replace air conditioner filter (GS 300, GS 430, IS 350, LS 430, SC)

Re-torque axle shaft flange bolts (all models except ES)2

Rotate tires (all models except IS with different size front and rear tires)

Visually inspect brake pads and rotors

Road-test vehicle

Inspect the following:

____Axle shaft boots ____Nuts and bolts on chassis

____Ball joints and dust covers ____Steering linkage and boots

____Engine air filter

You can buy your own filters at some place like http://www.irontoad.com/ and change the A/C filter yourself and the engine air filter when needed.

Take your oil filter to a local garage that does oil changes. There are lots of independents that will do this. I pay about $28 to a locally owned oil change place.

Tires can't be rotated.

That leaves a few other inspections which would probably be good to have Lexus do, but cost much less with you taking care of the rest of it.

See also:

Price Of Oil Change By The Dealer

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...showtopic=32378

Road-test vehicle

Inspect the following:

____Engine air filter

You can buy your own filters at some place like http://www.irontoad.com/ and change the A/C filter yourself and the engine air filter when needed.

Take your oil filter to a local garage that does oil changes. There are lots of independents that will do this. I pay about $28 to a locally owned oil change place.

Tires can't be rotated.

That leaves a few other inspections which would probably be good to have Lexus do, but cost much less with you taking care of the rest of it.

See also:

Thank you for your advices...

Well, here comes the barbs :)

I get oil changes in various vehicles at Walmart. I furnish my own filter and upgrade to premium oil. It's not rocket science and they seem to do fine. And I can shop while waiting. Basicially I'm paying around $20 to $25 for someone else to do the labor I no longer enjoy doing myself.

Road-test vehicle

Inspect the following:

____Engine air filter

Tires can't be rotated.

See also:

I just noticed you are in Los Angeles. I've heard good reports on service and prices at Luxury MotorWorks

http://www.luxurymotorworks.com/

227 West Chestnut Ave

Monrovia, CA 91016.

Road-test vehicle

Inspect the following:

____Engine air filter

Tires can't be rotated.

See also:

I just noticed you are in Los Angeles. I've heard good reports on service and prices at Luxury MotorWorks

227 West Chestnut Ave

Monrovia, CA 91016.

hmmm... luxurymotorworks.com seems pricey as the dealer.

Is there something special about the oil requirements of a Lexus? I rarely pay more than $15 for oil changes in my cars, which admittedly aren't Lexus. My father has paid the big bucks to have the oil changed in his GS 400, but I thought this was insane.

The $60 filter is the CABIN air filter. In cars I've owned with these they only need to be changed every 30,000 miles or so. No idea why Lexus would want it changed so often. Anyone?

As he suggested, look in the owners manual and don't allow anything that isn't listed there. Dealers like to suggest about two to three times as much stuff.

I go to a decent garage, have them change the oil, and also ask them to look around while under the car to see if XYZ appears out of joint. Many will let you get under there yourself while its up on a lift. If you know a little about what to look for (tie rod ends, bushings, CV boots) problems aren't hard to spot. That whole list of stuff from the maitenance schedule (apart from the drive) should take a competent mechanic about three minutes unless there's something especially complicated about those rear axle bolts. They're probably simple enough that most garages would throw them in as a freebie.

But you're driving a Lexus--it's amazing how much Lexus dealers charge to inspect for problems that supposedly aren't going to happen with one of their nearly new cars.

Is there something special about the oil requirements of a Lexus? I rarely pay more than $15 for oil changes in my cars, which admittedly aren't Lexus. My father has paid the big bucks to have the oil changed in his GS 400, but I thought this was insane.

The $60 filter is the CABIN air filter. In cars I've owned with these they only need to be changed every 30,000 miles or so. No idea why Lexus would want it changed so often. Anyone?

As he suggested, look in the owners manual and don't allow anything that isn't listed there. Dealers like to suggest about two to three times as much stuff.

I go to a decent garage, have them change the oil, and also ask them to look around while under the car to see if XYZ appears out of joint. Many will let you get under there yourself while its up on a lift. If you know a little about what to look for (tie rod ends, bushings, CV boots) problems aren't hard to spot. That whole list of stuff from the maitenance schedule (apart from the drive) should take a competent mechanic about three minutes unless there's something especially complicated about those rear axle bolts. They're probably simple enough that most garages would throw them in as a freebie.

But you're driving a Lexus--it's amazing how much Lexus dealers charge to inspect for problems that supposedly aren't going to happen with one of their nearly new cars.

truly helpful, thanks. ( the 60 dollars was a cabin filter ) so, i have made my decision, go to a local mechanic, and wait maybe for bigger service to get it done at a dealer, maybe jsut for the record. Even if the oil changes were about 60 dollars, I would just comfortably do it at the dealer, but it just seems like prices are HIGH and they try to rip you off by adding more services. Yea, Lexus' are luxury, but that doesn't mean owners are stupid.

Road-test vehicle

Inspect the following:

____Engine air filter

Tires can't be rotated.

See also:

227 West Chestnut Ave

Monrovia, CA 91016.

OOOOOhhhh, that's right around the corner from me!!! :rolleyes:

Tired can't be rotated? Why?

They're staggered on the IS (the rears are larger than the fronts)

but they should still rotate from left to right and right to left for us right?

Afterall, most of the time the driver side tires get more weight as compared to the passenger side.

it may not be a full rotation, but still some kind of rotation nonetheless.

do they do that as part of the service? or would we get charged more for asking?