The Great Oil Change Discussion

The tires are directional so they'd have to be dismounted and remounted on the respective wheels. I figure that's probably worse than not rotating at all. And of course they're going to charge you for that.

I can't see anyone actually doing this, but then it probably happens. As for the dealer, they just aren't thinking. No doubt they send the same list of services out for every model. I'm surprised there's nothing there about changing the transfer case fluid.

The tires are directional so they'd have to be dismounted and remounted on the respective wheels. I figure that's probably worse than not rotating at all. And of course they're going to charge you for that.

I can't see anyone actually doing this, but then it probably happens. As for the dealer, they just aren't thinking. No doubt they send the same list of services out for every model. I'm surprised there's nothing there about changing the transfer case fluid.

You do it mainly (on a car with all 4 same size tires) if one tire has been punctured and you want to put it in the trunk, but the spare is mounted in the wrong direction for the place you want to put it. Or if one tire is severerly worn and you want to put the best 4 tires on the ground.

The Service department at VISTA lexus in Los angeles (Woodland Hills) told me that they charge $47.50 for just the oil change.

Whoa, Ill give them a call for an appointment.

I just gave them a call, You are my savior, I set up my appointment for that price. Thanks.

Is there something special about the oil requirements of a Lexus? I rarely pay more than $15 for oil changes in my cars, which admittedly aren't Lexus. My father has paid the big bucks to have the oil changed in his GS 400, but I thought this was insane.

Also remember it makes a huge difference where you live. You can't get ANYBODY to change oil for $15 here, not even at a gas station or a Jiffy Lube.

As for the dealer, if you just ask for an oil change they won't charge you more than $60.

Some FYI...

Prices May Vary, but these are the actual prices told to me over the phone. They keep asking if I wanted a minor service which is at least 100 and it includes topping off all fluids, some inspection, and tire rotation(which most is' cant)

Los Angeles Area Lexus Dealer ("oil change prices" not minor service)

$45 Thousand Oaks Lexus.

$47.50 Vista Lexus, Woodland Hills

$89.99 Keyes Lexus, Van Nuys

$74.95 Jim Falk Lexus

$52.95 Longo Lexus

$99.99 Santa Monica Lexus. (keeps recommeding cabin filter change at additinal charge for 10K miles)

$49.95 Glendale Lexus

$50 Cerritos Lexus

One factor might be ease of access. When my father had a 2000 LS 400, they might have had to remove an access panel or two just to get to the oil fill--the engine was enshrouded in plastic. Or maybe not, it's been a while.

Are the drain plug and oil fill tube readily accessible in these cars? If so, oil is oil and an oil change is an oil change. Drain it out the bottom and fill it again from the top. I guess there might be something special about the Lexus filter. Might also take more than five quarts. But at a couple bucks a quart that shouldn't be a killer.

BUT if they give you a loaner, like they did my father when he had the oil in his GS changed the other day, then that's your difference. A one-day rental of a midsize luxury sedan like the Lexus ES (what they gave him) would easily run $40. Do all of these prices INCLUDE A LOANER?

Around here Jiffy Lube and other such quick change chains are far from the least expensive, usually about $25. But independent shops often run specials for as little as $13, and under $20 is easy to find.

I never thought an oil change for $47.50 would seem like a bargain.

One factor might be ease of access. When my father had a 2000 LS 400, they might have had to remove an access panel or two just to get to the oil fill--the engine was enshrouded in plastic. Or maybe not, it's been a while.

Are the drain plug and oil fill tube readily accessible in these cars? If so, oil is oil and an oil change is an oil change. Drain it out the bottom and fill it again from the top. I guess there might be something special about the Lexus filter. Might also take more than five quarts. But at a couple bucks a quart that shouldn't be a killer.

BUT if they give you a loaner, like they did my father when he had the oil in his GS changed the other day, then that's your difference. A one-day rental of a midsize luxury sedan like the Lexus ES (what they gave him) would easily run $40. Do all of these prices INCLUDE A LOANER?

The oil can be changed on a 2000 LS400 without removing any plastic from the top, the plastic shield on the bottom needs to be removed though to drain the oil and access the filter.

Lexus filters are really high quality, and not that expensive. What you're paying for is the labor, plain and simple. Lexus dealers charge labor at ~ $100 an hour.

As for loaners, at every Lexus dealer I've ever been to loaners are always included, I always get a loaner when I'm in for any maintenance. A midisze luxury car to rent would cost way more than $40 for a day here. A Taurus might cost $40, something like an ES, IS, or RX is going to run you $80 at least for a day.

So, paying $160 for the small service and getting $80 worth of loaner plus I don't have to get up early for dropoff (I drop off the night before) and I don't have to waste 2 hours sitting around waiting, definately worth it to me.

I thought I remembered that some panel had to be removed for an oil change, thanks.

The price definitely sounds much better if a loaner is included. I wonder if this is what separates the cheaper dealers from the pricier ones.

My father did have them inspect a few things, found nothing wrong. But that might be why he got a loaner. I don't know if his dealer (in Va. Beach VA) would include a loaner for just an oil change.

No loaners for any job that takes under 2 hours for me. I asked for them, but for an oil change alone service, they'll pick me up and drop me off within 5 miles.

You should check out Crown Lexus, in Ontario. I know it's a drive for you, but what's an hour or two???? :P

IS350 oil change is easy. The filter is right under the front. Yes there's a panel, but the access is very easy. Once the panel is off there is absolutely nothing in the way. It takes 6.6 quarts and the filters are a little over $4 from Irontoad. I don't know about lexus but many dealers now have an oil change lane, or keep a bay open just for oil changes. They can do the job in 15 minutes tops. I think most know that if they want the oil change business they need to be set up to do it that way. Car owners should also know that it's not rocket surgery.

I thought I remembered that some panel had to be removed for an oil change, thanks.

The price definitely sounds much better if a loaner is included. I wonder if this is what separates the cheaper dealers from the pricier ones.

My father did have them inspect a few things, found nothing wrong. But that might be why he got a loaner. I don't know if his dealer (in Va. Beach VA) would include a loaner for just an oil change.

I doubt they would for an oil change, but they will for a minor service (the maintenance schedule calls for minor services every 5k miles).

• 3 weeks later...

I have used up my first free service at the dealer, Now that I am reaching 10K miles. I call up one dealer and they tell me i need to replace a cabin filter and want to charge 99 oil change plus 60 for filter (almost 200 with taxes). I call up another and its 125 plus tax and they tell me a tire rotation. I don't believe I can get a tire rotation. Do dealers actually know what's even written in the handbook. Also, I do not want to pay any of those prices for a filter and oil change.

so, this is my question... Where is the best place to get a quality oil change that I can be happy with?

Jiffy Lube? (scandals)

Toyota Dealer ( do they work on lexus cars?, i read this in some forum before )

Just a local Lube place?

Please help.

Hi heffergm, how do you find the oil filter housing ? I opened the hood and can't see them. :unsure:

For starters:

1) Don't tell a dealer "I want the 10k mile service", because in dealer speak, that means "rape me hard for whatever you think you can get away with charging me". Tell them, "I want the oil changed." End of story. If they do anything else without your permission, you're not required to pay them for it by law.

2) The place that quoted you $60 for an oil filter deserves a call to the better business bureau. The filter costs $12 tops. You can get them online from a variety of places, including the parts desk at any dealer, where I can guarantee you they won't cost $60.

3) Please stay away from Jiffy Lube.

4) Did I mention please stay away from Jiffy Lube?

5) I change my own oil. It costs me $60 total, and that includes filter and 7 quarts of synthetic oil. Paying any more than that at a dealer for a non-synthetic oil change is insane. Seven quarts of over the counter dino oil costs about $10, plus $12 for the filter, you're looking at $25 in parts and 30 minutes of time. At the current auto labor rate, that means you really shouldn't be paying more than$75-$100 total (which I still think is a huge ripoff, but if you don't have the time/knowledge/skill/whatever to do it yourself, then what choice do you have).

I like to change oil more often but don't want to go to dealer everytime just for oil change. But I can't find the oil filter housing under the hood. Can anyone help?

Bartkat's answer to the same question is here:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...st&p=215056

Thank you Bartkat :) , I saw that thing before but was fooled by the silver color, thought it was some kind of motor.

• 2 weeks later...

I like to change oil more often but don't want to go to dealer everytime just for oil change. But I can't find the oil filter housing under the hood. Can anyone help?

Look straight down right behind the radiator you will see a metal housing. That contains the oil filter element. You change the element.

You can access the element by going underneath the car in the middle right in front there is an access panel with 3 screws. Take that off and make sure you have the correct type of filter wrench to remove the cap. I bought an adjustable one from pepboys which looks like this:

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P6...amp;dir=catalog

You can get the original factory lexus one, but why pay $40+ I paid $8.

Good luck.