The Great Oil Change Discussion

is it easy to change the oil on the IS 250/350? i am female, and not car savvy at all. i cannot change the oil on my infiniti because the place where you change the oil is poorly engineered, even my husband said so. he has to reach behind all this crap to get to it, and it's hard to get out the filter because there are car parts in the way. he has absolutely no problems changing the oil on his acura. naturally, when choosing a new car, i'd like to get something where it is easy enough to change the oil that i can do it myself (if i wanted to). can anyone give me a quick answer on this? thanks!!!

Keep in mind that if you change your own oil and do not have any proof or documentation, you probably will not be able to get Lexus to pay for any repairs under warranty. I take a few photos when I change mine (odometer, draining process, filling process, and new filter next to old filter).

I have never seen an oil filter like this. What kind is it?

Keep in mind that if you change your own oil and do not have any proof or documentation, you probably will not be able to get Lexus to pay for any repairs under warranty. I take a few photos when I change mine (odometer, draining process, filling process, and new filter next to old filter).

receipts of the filter and oil purchases and a simple log or mileage and dates of your DIY oil changes should surfice. In addtion, I make a habit of writing the date and mileage on the new filter with a sharpie. My service manager indicated that this is fine for their records if ever needed.

I have never seen an oil filter like this. What kind is it?

Like what, you didn't attach a picture.

steviej

• 6 months later...

Is there a reason why a dealer charge $175 + tax for an oil change?!

I paid it once at 5000 miles for my IS350 but I don't want to do it again.

I could put synthetic oil somewhere else and still not even pay half of that!

Should I stay with the dealer for the oil change because of warranty issues or should I go somewhere else?

I hate the fact that they taking advantage of the situation.

• Like 1

Should I stay with the dealer for the oil change because of warranty issues or should I go somewhere else?

$175 + tax for an oil change? :o :o :o :o :o :o

Synthetic or not.... WTF?!?!?!

That's insane.

Mobil 1 is only $6- a quart

Mobil 1 SuperSyn is only $6.50

Are their filters gold plated?

You can do it yourself for well under $60-

Keep receipts for filters and oil, warranty will be honored.

That's insane.

I think I paid around $100 for my oil change, but I could be wrong. I'd have to go back and check.

So will a lube-n-tune know how to turn off the annoying indicator that your oil needs to be changed if it's on???

That's insane.

I think I paid around $100 for my oil change, but I could be wrong. I'd have to go back and check.

So will a lube-n-tune know how to turn off the annoying indicator that your oil needs to be changed if it's on???

I pay about $32 at Bill's Quick Lube and bring my own filter.

You can turn off the service reminder yourself.

To reset the oil change system, follow the procedure below:

1. Turn the engine switch OFF.

2. While pressing the trip meter reset knob (→P. 100), set the engine switch to the

IG-ON mode. Continue to press and hold the knob until the trip meter displays

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...ost&id=3751

That's insane.

The counter is really easy to reset, a service tech at the dealer showed me how to do it. You push the start button twice (without your foot on the brake, do not start the engine) and then you hold the milage button/stick and then you will see 4 lines count down on the odometer, then after the countdown is finished it will be reset.

This is WAY too much just for an oil change, is it this way for ALL Lexus dealers? I would take it to a different shop, but how can I be sure that they will use synthetic or the right synthetic oil?

The price you paid was for a SERVICE ... most likely the 7,500 mile MAINTENANCE or 10K MAINTENANCE

A major part of that MAINTENANCE is an oil change.

As for taking my car to Jiffy Boob, EZ boob or any independent, "Are you high?"

Ever looked at one of those monkey's??

I wouldn't trust them to change the oil in my lawn mower or kids' go kart, let alone work on a precision automobile

Tell me, your going to trust you pride 'n joy .. your 40K (+/-) baby to some high school flunkie who doesn't know the difference between a power steering resivoir and a washer resivoir??

PAY FOR THE PIECE OF MIND, THE EXPERTISE AND THE VALUE OF DEALERSHIP MAINTENANCE.

Way to often, I have seen one of those idiots either tighten the drain plug too much and strip the lower oil pan or leave it too loose, have the oil drain out and toast a motor!

Do yourself a favor ... either do it yourself (DIY) or have a factory trained professional do it for you!!!

Reminds me of a commercial for a dealership ...

Guy needs a battery

Guy goes to a "Pep Boys/Wall mart/Autozone place and the "mechanics (used loosely in this context) tell guy they have a battery.

Cut to scene where "mechanics" are struggling to install battery. Next scene "mechanics" are beating battery with hammer saying "It'll fit ... we can make it fit" (all the while hammering on the battery to get

6lbs of baloney in a 2lb bag)

Makes me laugh ... and cry (cause it has probably happened)

READ the work order you signed! It describes ALL checkes performed on the vehicle. You can't rotate tires on an IS 2wd, but they will take them off, check the brakes, balance wheels, basically check the whole car. Not to mention technicians are flat-rate paid people. They get paid when they are working on the car. If there's a problem, like leaking shock, oil leaks, coolant leaks, etc, they will find it. That's how they are paid. Not hourly paid jiffy lube people who could give a rats-!Removed! if there's an oil leak or if the tires are seperating. Not to mention, you are more likely to get things covered when you're out of warranty if you spend money at a dealership.

lol i do everything at the dealership. your car is an investment, id like to keep it as perfect as possible. let me tell you what it pays for:

-the car gets checked out everywhere

-you get a service rep who listens to your problems, then calls for a test guy to drive along with you to diagnose it

-they will fix it under warranty or free sometimes

-they often (or at least mine) gives me coupons for services i dont even know about nor give him

-you get a nice lounge with wireless internet

-you can get dropped off

-you can get a loaner car (for $8 a day)

-you get your car washed

-you get peace of mind

-you get to look at the nice new cars in the showroom

i agree with everything benzo said, but maybe i wouldnt have put it so blunt. lol

Changing oil isn't rocket surgery. Besides, Bills Quick Lube is privately owned, Bill is a personal friend of mine, and I don't think they've screwed up a drain plug or whatever in the 20 years they've been in business. Like I said, I take my own Toyota/Lexus filter, they change the oil and check the fluids and tires while I watch and I'm on my way. I haven't take a car back to the dealership for serivce in over 15 years. All the other checks that are on the list, I do myself.

If I have a problem that's for warranty, I'll take it to the dealer.

I believe if you browse the threads here you'll find as many dealership, yahoo screwed up "tech" stories as you will "Jiffy Lube" stories.

Okay okay, calm down.

The first thing you need to understand is that you did not pay $175 for an oil change. Lexus sells service in bundles, you bought the 5k service which includes an oil change, tire rotation and balance (just balance on a staggered IS), brake check, pressure check, fluid level inspection, chassis lubrication, road test, wash and vacuum, and a loaner. At my dealer thats $168, I've paid as much as $240 for it before. And yes, I have it done every 5k miles. Yes, the 15k and 30k services are more. The 90k service is $1,400.

Do you have to do it at the dealer? No, but you sould have the tires balanced and the oil changed every 5k miles. I get it done at the dealer because I get a loaner and I enjoy the service, peace of mind, and experience. Its also a business expense for me so its a writeoff anyways.

IS350 5000 mile service:

Replace engine oil and oil filter

Re-torque axle shaft flange bolts (all models except ES)

Rotate tires (all models except IS with different size front and rear tires)

Visually inspect brake pads and rotors

Road-test vehicle

Inspect the following:2

____Axle shaft boots ____Nuts and bolts on chassis

____Ball joints and dust covers ____Steering linkage and boots

There's nothing in the above that hasn't been done, just not by Lexus and done at half or less the price.

IS350 10,000 mile service:

Replace engine oil and oil filter

Measure thickness of front brake pads and rotors (GS 430, IS)

Replace air conditioner filter (GS 300, GS 430, IS 350, LS 430, SC)

Re-torque axle shaft flange bolts (all models except ES)2

Rotate tires (all models except IS with different size front and rear tires)

Visually inspect brake pads and rotors

Road-test vehicle

Inspect the following:

____Axle shaft boots ____Nuts and bolts on chassis

____Ball joints and dust covers ____Steering linkage and boots

____Engine air filter

I see nothing in the above that requires a hightly trained and certified technician either.

I don't disagree with you at all, I still use the dealer though just for the service and convienience.

SW, are you sure they balance, as in spin them on a machine, or do you just get a rotation? Balancing every 5000k miles is overkill in my mind, but if it is part of their bundle, then so be it.

I do all my own oil changes, tranny drain and fills and tire rotations. I only have them rebalanced if they seem to shake or shimmy (and the balances are free under my tire care plan separate from Lexus). My car has only been to the dealer for the 30, 60 and soon to be 90k services minus the oil/filter, tranny fluid, air filter, cabin filter and PCV valve. Any other have the dealer do mostly cause I don't want to have to be responsible to dispose of it. I save a ton of money, I like doing it, I have the tools and the garage.

For those who do not have the ability or tools or cannot, the dealership is a convenience, a service, and they dolt over you, plus you get a loaner.

Jiffy Lube doesn't treat you that way.

Toyota dealers may be able to do the same work, but it is not the same.

It is all a trade off.

steviej

SW, are you sure they balance, as in spin them on a machine, or do you just get a rotation? Balancing every 5000k miles is overkill in my mind, but if it is part of their bundle, then so be it.

Yep, they balance the tires every time they rotate them, at least they put them on the machine and check the balance. They've found customers complain about vibrations much less frequently. I agree with you, I personally wouldn't actively balance tires unless I was getting new ones or I had a vibration, but they do it.

I don't disagree with you at all, I still use the dealer though just for the service and convienience.

long time reader, first time poster.

I brought the car in for the 30K service, they want $750. I went to my local mechanic, not jiffylube, a real garage. Handed him the Lexus checklist for 30K. Paid $250. You can save a lot of money without sacrificing your baby on the quiklube lift.

I guess it is 50/50 here about this issue.

One thing my dealership offers and I did not know until after I bought the car is that you can prepay for service about $400 for 4 years of oil change or 50k not including the BIG service at 30k.

Thats a good deal.

So next time if you buy a new Lexus ask your dealer if they have this program.

I did it to my girl's new car. we paid $400 for 4 years.

I am still debating if to continue my services for my car with the dealer especially after they told me it would be $50 more if they put synthetic oil.

Thanks for all the different advises.

I brought the car in for the 30K service, they want $750. I went to my local mechanic, not jiffylube, a real garage. Handed him the Lexus checklist for 30K. Paid $250. You can save a lot of money without sacrificing your baby on the quiklube lift.

Also remember that all dealers pricing is not created equal. I did not pay nearly $750 for the 30k service, I paid about $500, and about $600 for the 60k. Here in DC, prices vary a lot depending on the dealership, as does service quality.

I guess it is 50/50 here about this issue.

50/50 here, most owners of luxury cars just use the dealership out of ease while the car is still new.

I am still debating if to continue my services for my car with the dealer especially after they told me it would be $50 more if they put synthetic oil.

Bring your own, seriously. Mine has been changed with synthetic since 5k miles, I always bring my own Mobil 1. They won't care.

Also remember that all dealers pricing is not created equal. I did not pay nearly $750 for the 30k service, I paid about $500. Here in DC, prices vary a lot depending on the dealership, as does service quality.

My 10,000 is due... Called my dealer and they said $250... He said most of that cost is the Cabin Filter.. that if I wanted just the oil change its $49... (cheap IMO being the dealer is doing it)

Also I thought the 5000 was free on all Lexus? or is that a dealer option?