Rattling From The Front Passanger Door

mzhang86

Hi, when I bought my 91 Ls-400 last summer, it was in perfect shape with no extra noise. Now that it's cold in the morning, I let it warm up 5 minutes before I drive. But when i'm driving, I can hear a rattling noise around the area of the front passanger door. Is there a way to locate the rattling noise and stop it?

Thanks

Hi,

I was one of the 2. It happened to my driver door. I took off the panel and found one of the bolts loose and dropped to the bottom pocket and rattled.

VH

PS: The other member (I forgot who it was, sorry :() told me that it happened exactly to him (or his friend)

Since there has been a problem with the server, I am not sure if previous posts could be restored.

Anyway, it is much easier to remove the door panel if you have the manual. It is also easier to remove than put it back (easier to have 2 people when putting the main panel back). It is difficult if you don't have the manual since pictures speak a thousand words. It is unfortunate that my scanner is kaput, else I'd post the manual pages for you.

Hi,

I have a '91 Ls400 also, and had the same problem.

The cause - so th Lexus guy said - was a fallen-out screw inside the door panel, and some other loose ones. When all were replaced / tightened, the door had the familiar thud, and the problem has, thus far, not returned. I was surprised that they di this for free. I think it was due to the fact that I had asked them to fix this some time ago and the problem returned, so under the 1 year warranty on labor, they were obligated to fix it. This is the one ggod thing about going to the Dealer for service. You have a year's coverage .

My rattle sounded like it came from the top of the door, not the middle, and I noticed when I gently banged my elbow behind the door handle inside, that I could hear something loose. It was more prevalent in dry, cool weather ( insulation shrinkage ?).

If you're a do-it-yourselfer and have the Service manual, the door panel removal is not hard, but can be tricky. Make sure you reseal the weather strip sheet securely to avoid drafts.

Don't OVERTIGHTEN the screws, you may strip them or crack their receptacle, and then your ratlle problems will worsen.. Use locktite or teflon tape on the threads. lock washers are also good.

Check all wire harnesses and anything else that may "rattle' are securely clipped / fastened. Use duck tape if you have to, after all, it's INSIDE the door panel !

Good Luck

G

Here's a site that helps you remove the front panel.

http://carstereohelp.com/stereoremovalLexu...S400FDrPnlR.htm

I was going to convert it to a powerpoint presentation but hesitated when I tried to copy the text and it gave me the "copyright" speech.

Good luck!

:)

On http://carstereohelp.com

in their "Repair estimate " section, they quote a fix of $190.00 for the BACKLIGHTS of the stereo unit .

The stereo unit, presumable uses the same bulbs to backlight as the climate control unit, so , since these guys provide the removal instructions for the stereo / climate control module, you could do the fix for the cost of the bulbs.

Worht a try?

G