Cabin Air Filter Access

I've been pondering the work the dealer wishes to do on my 15K mile checkup for my RX350. One item that keeps showing up in the service list throughout the life of the vehicle is the cabin air filter, either to clean or replace.

The manual makes getting to the filter look easy. Just pop the two stops at the sides of the glove box inwards, tilt the glove box out of the way and viola, there's the filter. Is there a special tool involved? This klutz tried prying with a couple of screwdrivers and it was apparent I was going to break something.

There has to be a better way. If I can do it, I can more easily parse out the work into smaller chunks that could be done by other service facilities, including Toyota dealerships. (Wait! The coffee won't be as good! Darn!)

Thanks!

I've been pondering the work the dealer wishes to do on my 15K mile checkup for my RX350. One item that keeps showing up in the service list throughout the life of the vehicle is the cabin air filter, either to clean or replace.

The manual makes getting to the filter look easy. Just pop the two stops at the sides of the glove box inwards, tilt the glove box out of the way and viola, there's the filter. Is there a special tool involved? This klutz tried prying with a couple of screwdrivers and it was apparent I was going to break something.

There has to be a better way. If I can do it, I can more easily parse out the work into smaller chunks that could be done by other service facilities, including Toyota dealerships. (Wait! The coffee won't be as good! Darn!)

Thanks!

CanTex - I was able to pull the stops by turning them to the end of their range (can't remember which direction) and pulling them towards the inside of the glove box with pliers over a cloth (to minimize scratching the stops). Then the glove box will rotate lower to reveal the case for the filter. I recall using a screwdriver to open the clips on each side, then remove it and the filter is right there. It took a bit of a pull to pop the stops loose. The filter I was sold by the dealer service seemed quite wimpy compared to the original equipment - but they assured me it was the right one to use.

Good luck

Wilson

• 2 weeks later...

I was in the dealership for an oil change yesterday. The service rep said that they will charge $80 to change my cabin filter. I pulled out the manual, followed the instructions and pulled out the old filter myself. The new filter from part was ~$35 so I ended up saving myself some cash by doing it myself.

Even better, you can buy a HVAC filter from Lowe's or Home Depot and cut out a piece the same size as the Lexus filter. There are various styles and quality of filters to choose from at a substantial savings. Duct taping the edges seals them in as well as, or better than, the original.