Oil Filter Location?

rpjax

like SK posted, but approach from under hood, not under the car.

Wear a long sleeve shirt so as not to scorn yourself on the exhaust manifold if it is hot or warm.

put a large tray/pan under the car when you remove the filter. Gets messy cause the oil gets on the crossmember and runs off in different places. Newer 1MZFE engines have a device to funnel the exiting oil to a stream.

Angling the oil filter wrench is hard but managable depending on the type or wrench. Just a little then easy to do by hand. Tip up when it comes off threads immediately to help prevent total loss of all oil in the filter.

good luck.

sj

:unsure:

I bought 2003 ES300 several months ago, and I tried to change motor oil today. It's the 1st oil change for this new car. But I failed to remove the oil filter, it's too tight. I love the DIY and have changed oil for 15 years, this is the 1st time I felt so frustrated after 3 hours' struggling. I'd like to get some advice from folks here -

* Should the 1st oil change be done by dealer? Seem like DIY is mission impossible for me for the first shot.

* Any special tool for the the "L" type access to filter, I used Sears flexible wrench + a good oil flter wrench, but it slipped anyway.

I also own 1998 Toyota Sienna, which has similar engine with ES300, it took me 45 seconds to get filter off.

I changed the oil & filter on my '94ES for 9 years, but I'll always remember the first time I tried removing the filter. I struggled for many hours, with every type of filter wrench I could get my hands on with poor results. I finally tore open the filter with a screwdriver and removed it. It seems that dealers screw the filters on much too tight. After that experience I screwed on the filter, hand tight, and I never had this unforgettable experience anymore. :chairshot:

Wear gloves. There is hot oil coming out of the filter and your hand might bump the exhaust manifold. I also recommend getting the special cap wrench (SST) to take off and put on the filter. I got mine for $4.00 at the Toyota dealer. Be sure the SST fits the oil filter before you leave the shop. Toyota changed the filter shape slightly in 1998 so the old SST does not fit the newer filters. The directions note the need to tighten the filter 3/4 turn after the gasket seats when replacing a new filter. This is accomplished much more easily by viewing the markings on the cap wrench than to guess.

If you don't mind your oil filter having a Toyota label instead of a Lexus label, you can save yourself a bunch of cash by ordering the filter in bulk from various places on the web. I usually pay $3.50 to $4.00 apiece by buying ten. The cost from the Lexus dealer is about $7.50 to $10.00 for a filter. Also, you MUST replace the crush washer/drain plug gasket whenever you drain the oil pan. They usually cost about $1.00 apiece, but if you are willing to look, they can be had for less.

Good luck.

I finally tore open the filter with a screwdriver and removed it.

I said that in my above post! That's the only way I could get the filter loose. That was my trick also. ;)