1992 Lexus LS400 Keyless Entry

dbullen

Recently my keyless entry stopped working. I was wondering if anyone has encoutered this before on a 90-92 LS400. The dealership wants me to buy a new remote and ROM. I'm assuming that means a new key and a new transmitter in the car? I bought a Key off ebay doesn't anyone know if it's possible to program this for my car or do I need a new transmitter in the car as well?

• 3 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...
Recently my keyless entry stopped working. I was wondering if anyone has encoutered this before on a 90-92 LS400. The dealership wants me to buy a new remote and ROM. I'm assuming that means a new key and a new transmitter in the car? I bought a Key off ebay doesn't anyone know if it's possible to program this for my car or do I need a new transmitter in the car as well?

Well As I suspected the Key I got off ebay couldn't be program. According to the Lexus dealership 90-94's LS400's if the Key breaks you need to puchase a new key w/ chip (as a matching set) chip is refered to as a ROM which gets installed in the car somewhere. Anyhow I've since purchased a matching chip and Key, now I just need to figure out where the chip (ROM) goes in the car so that I don't have to take it to the dealership again. I've already spend $100 for them to diagnose the problem before (Basically they told me my key no longer transmits) any suggestions?

I'll get some more information on that for you. I spent around $300 for the install and keys for my car, and just stopped bleeding from that. I believe the main computer in is the truck near the amplifier, but since the signal is coming from the main bay, if could be there where I would start.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

You can buy an older key on E-Bay "IF" you want to use the transponder only!!!! and "IF" the new key has the same FCC number sas your original. When you pick up the new transponder, you can program it as follows:

Open driver door, keep it open and in the unlocked position

Put original key in ignition and pull out

Lock and Unlock the doors 5 times

Close the door and open the door

Lock and Unlock the doors another 5 times

Put the Master Key in the ignition, turn it on and then off and remove from the ignition

You should hear a confirmation beep within 10 seconds and the door locks should actuate

Push the button on the new key

Close the door and open the door

Push the button again on the new key

That should do it!!!

Good luck,

Marty

The programming above was given to me by my local Lexus dealer in response to my question regarding my 1995 SC400. I "assumed" they would be the same, so no guarentee. You know what they say about assume. (There, I beat you to the punch!!)

• 4 years later...

Dont know if you are still here or not, but.............

it is 5 years later and I've purchased a 93 Ls 400 with the original 66,000 miles. Got a new key and ROM from lexus, they wanted to charge me an extra $120 to install. They had aleady got me for about $800 the same day. Needless to say, I've been looking for this information for a while and low and behold -you -like a '5 year old blessing'! The pics are just what I needed -- THANKS!!!!!

If by chance ,(as I suspect), you are no longer a member -Thank you to anyone who reads and responds!

• 4 years later...

Still havn't been able to find out where to install the ROM chip in the car. I was told it was near the toolbox in the trunk. I see below the toolbox there is a box that's about 4 X 6 In but can't find anywhere to put the chip

yes true, but you need to remove the box out and you will find the antenna and the Rom is just beside it.

• 6 years later...
13 hours ago, jt_tow said:

ok curious why can’t i buy a key and a transponder what??

Key and ROM card sets appear to still be available as replacement parts.

The ROM card that matches the key is inserted in a slot in the wireless receiver in the left rear fender.

Here is an image showing the various key/ROM sets, their part numbers and the location of the wireless receiver.

1990-1994 LS400 Wireless Door Lock.jpg