Forums

Matthew_McNally

Folks,

we have experienced some problems with the forum software - as you have probably realised.

We are working to resolve the situation - please note that this is older version of the forum database, so posts will be missing.

If you are a member being told that your username and password do not exist, please re-register to continue to use the forums.

Thanks

Thanks for keeping us informed - Matthew!!

Just curious - now that I re-registered - using the same name, password, email address, etc., will I have control over my previous messages IF and when the old messages ever show up? [if that makes sense]

Thanks!!

Craig!! :)

We're still working on restoring the database to where it was as of yesterday, so it still possible we'll keep our fingers crossed. If that happens Craig the new account that you created here would be deleted and replaced with your old one.

We'll keep you posted...

I am in rack-mount server business, and sold tons & tons of servers on eBay. these servers primarily are hosting web sites, ftp sites, and news groups, or forums like this one.

my advise is to set up at least a hardware based RAID-1 mirror (takes 2 identical drives) or RAID-5 (takes 3x drives), then none of this will happen. if one drive failed, the system will keep going, then you can just replace the bad one to rebuild the RAID on the background.

in fact, if you don't have time to do manual backup, RAID redundancy is the best way to have real-time full backup continuously all by itself!

are you running windows or linux based server?

are you using IDE or SCSI drive? hard drives nowadays are getting real cheap...you know! seting up RAID-1 or 5 are not that expensive!

we use raid

But raid did not help us in this situation where a scripts deleted the whole mysql database.

we did not have hardrive failure. It was an error.. or one massive accident that cost us heavily.

As shaggy says "it wasnt me" ;)

we use raid

But raid did not help us in this situation where a scripts deleted the whole mysql database.

we did not have hardrive failure. It was an error.. or one massive accident that cost us heavily.

As shaggy says "it wasnt me"  ;)

hmmmm....is it really gone!?

you guys may consider to add a small 40G/80G IDE drive (costs about US$55/$65 new nowadays) to the server as backup drive. so, anyone with administrative previledge can backup (copy) any crucial data files to the backup drive remotely.

what type hardware is in the server?

in fact, I have tons of new 40G IDE here! I can donate one to these great forums, just tell me where to send it!

it backing up onto another drive that caused the problem. However plans are in place to do daily backups every morning onto an external server

thanks for your offer for the drive.. very kind of you!

Also we have plans to move onto an even bigger server soon whithin the same NOC (our network of sites are about 10 gig and growing fast)

As for service its great.. just one blipp which caused the problems.

I spent many years hosting customers and did not have 1 problem! but today was very nasty! :pirate: Thank goodness i gave it up.. I would have hung myself if it was my server

this forum has saved hudreds if not thousands of dollars for myself and others alike. a hard drive is just a small token to say thank you and please keep up the good works!

according to Steve, you guys may already have additional drive outside the main RAID for data backup purpose, and that's was the cause of losing database files which I am still wondering what had happened. was the script intended for backing up ended up deleting the source files?

anyway, the offer stands, just let me know where to send it!

r u guys paying some1 to host your website or you really have the server and use dedicated line and do everythign yourself? i used to do it and i used a IE1394 drive for the daily backup. you can configure automatic backup in any OS. even in win xp

We host in a NOC

It was human error... (not mine :lol: ) but i was lucky to have a backup of what we have here on my HD

After rolling heads we are now having a more comprehensive back up sorted.

• 2 weeks later...