Has Anyone Purchased A Nav Upgrade For The Gs300?

This car is a dream to drive. I only have one complaint. When the navigation system is giving audible directions it doesn't say the street names and occasionally doesn't even say the highway names. It just says to turn left or right. If the sunroof is open the NAV screen often has glare and is unreadable. Sometimes there are a number of possible turns in a short distance. Further if I'm about to make a turn the last thing that I want to do is take my eyes off the road to look at the map, especially if I'm crossing oncoming traffic. Does a NAV upgrade JUST upgrade map data OR does it also upgrade the GPS software and if so does the upgrade provide audible street and highway names? I called my local Lexus parts department. They said they were pretty sure it does upgrade the software as well as the maps. "Pretty sure" is as good as "I don't know". I called the Lexus customer service number and the Lexus representative said she wasn't sure, but she'd ask the gal next to her who had an 07 Lexus IS with NAV. She said it didn't have audible street names. I still don't have a solid answer from someone who has experience with a NAV upgrade. I can't imagine I'm the only one with a concern about this issue.

I don't know about the Lexus upgrade, BUT.... you can always get one on those Tom Tom portable units (or another brand). If you found one you like with street voice and stuff, you could plug it into the VAIS iPOD adapter that is sold for the Lexus (it also has an AUX input) so that it would play thru the stereo speakers. The mode button on the steering wheel would toggle between the factory stereo, iPOD, and aux input which would be the portable Nav device. I know a Lexus solution would be best, but even IF the upgrade did everything you want, I bet they would charge a fortune.

• 2 weeks later...
the new nav CD will downgrade your software. it will disable the override trick to watch DVD's while the car is moving and use the touchscreen. the street names and stuff however will be updated.

has anybody successfully created a hybrid disk using latest 7.1 maps and 4.1 config file? This will give you the latest maps

and improved interface and preserve the old "tap up/down/up/down" trick to enable nav controls while moving.

Michael

'06 GS430

• 2 months later...

I don't know if this helps but my NAV with the 2008 Update shows the street that you are supposed to turn onto and it gives a voice prompt within .5 miles of the turn. I have found that if I am using Navigation, I need to turn down the stereo,roll up the windows and close the sun roof and drive slower.

I would also like to ask Lexus to add another voice to the recognition system as the current female voice is pretty damn annoying!

We call her Cherry 2000.

• 3 weeks later...

Just upgraded my father's generation 4 navigation unit form 5.1 to 7.1. I can't really give a comparison as I drive my own car, but with the 7.1 disc, there is a software update that occurs in addition to the updated map data.

As soon as you enter the new disc, there is a progress bar showing that the software is being updated, and a warning not to turn off the power.

Message me if you want me to test any specific feature or for info on how to get a new nav disc.